Wednesday 18 March 2020

From TeemuL: Searching for Dwarfs (5 Points)

"Okay, let's find some dwarfs for the Snowlord. Give me the map."
"Uh, yeah..."
"Is this the map?!? No wonder we got lost!"
"All right, we are on a mountain, shouldn't be too hard..."


Something quick and easy to paint in between other jobs, I thought. Well, here's one sixth of the tiles, it takes considerable amount of time to paint the trims. Then scrape some paint off in order to make them click together. Then tidy up and test fit them again. The landscapes itself were rather quick to paint (mostly with washes and contrast paints).


These are from the old Mighty Empires expansion for Warhammer Fantasy Battle, the idea being to create lots of different maps for players to use. I bought these second hand a year or two ago and have been playing around to paint them and use them in one campaign or another. I thought that I would give them a quick paint job and then it would be easier to start using them in some campaign. But like I said, it was a lot of work. Next sprues I probably paint the outsides of the trims very lightly especially around the "click" part to save some time. I was looking forward to paint all six of them, but here's only one - other five are primed and waiting for a better time. I wanted to have these finished by the end of the challenge, so here they are. I guess you can represent at least some areas of the Challenge Island with them.


Points wise, I have no idea... I can build a hollow cube of them, like a house. It would be roughly 6"x3"x2", so as terrain would count for one sixth of the terrain cube, or about 3 points. Add the flags, hills, forts and etc and I would hope for 5 points? They are painted on the both inside and outside, like proper house walls (or Rhinos).

***

Some great classic GW stuff so far this morning...first "Space Crusade", now this! That is quite cool. I think I had only ever seen these tiles live one time, at the local GW store. It was (and still is!) a really interesting concept, and it's great to see some getting painted and shared with the Challenge. 

For points, I shall use (abuse?) my minion powers to declare this to be worth 10 points, as I think the sense of "holy cow, that's pretty neat" to be worth at least another five points. 

GregB

5 comments:

  1. Haven't seen these for a while, nice work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Teemu. Those could make for a 3D Catan board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice terrain hexes indeed, I had some back in the day never used them... good to see you use yours

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work on resurrecting these!

    ReplyDelete