Wednesday 18 March 2020

From NoelW: Romans and their enemies: (410 points)

Continuing the rapid completion of outstanding units for my Punic project, firstly we have some Republican Romans:




I believe these are Agema figures, a range which is perhaps no longer in production. I find them somewhat strange figures. They're quite delicately sculpted, with good natural proportions, meaning that they're slighter than the majority of wargames figures, and closer to 25mm than 28mm. They could be quite beautiful. Except that the design seems to lead to some very, very strange poses - I think because the positioning of the neck is not worked out well, so the heads generally sit at quite peculiar angles.

You might ask why I've built them like this. Answer: I bought them second-hand, as part of a miscellaneous Punic collection, ready assembled. I thought about breaking them up and reassembling them more aesthetically, but it seems a lot of trouble for relatively little benefit, so I decided instead I'd give them a very simple paint job to use them in my army until I've some more attractive replacements. They'll probably be used as Triarii, even though only about a quarter have the long spear typical of that rank. As the Triarii often did not make it into battle, they'll perhaps stand as placeholders rather than active figures much of the time.

Against the Romans, Carthage will pitch her many allies. Amongst these are the Spanish:




These nine figures came from the same purchase. I think most of them are Wargames Foundry, judging by the style, but a couple seem to come from a different manufacturer, as far as I can tell. I enjoyed painting these, especially trying to come up with nine different geometric shield designs using a combination of only three colours.

Fighting for either side could be the Numidians:




I've always liked the notion of the Numidian light cavalry, since my very first conversions of Airfix Indians, one of my favourite childhood sets. I've no idea who made these models, though.

Next, Celts. These are 26 Warlord models, plus one Wargames Foundry figure. The Warlord figures are very dynamic, but it's difficult to group them together into units because of the crouching poses and splayed arms. I've tried to cram them together for the photo, but will need to spread them differently in an actual game. Most of the shields are hand-painted, some more successfully than others. A few use the Warlord decals, which are all nice designs, but don't fit too exactly.




And finally, to lead the Celts:



I don't think Celtic chariots figured in the Punic Wars. As far as I know (though my knowledge is, as usual, pretty limited) the chariot was only used in Britain. As my Celts plan to resist the Roman invader of Albion, too, this will probably be Caractacus - but I may also decided to stretch history a little and give him a role in Hannibal's army.

Scoring: If I understand Tamsin's ruling correctly, a chariot scores 20 as a vehicle, plus crew (10) and horses (10), making 40 pts
4 cavalry: 40 pts
27 Celts + 30 Romans + 9 Iberians: 66 x 5 = 330 pts
TOTAL: 410 pts


from DaveD ... a kaboom for Noel that takes him through the 4000 points mark - - your in danger of making Martin the bridesmaid again... I do like the chariot i must say 

7 comments:

  1. A proper points bomb after the mere grenade you lobbed us earlier. Cracking work Noel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do look good in a frock mind. Excellent work Noel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid looking ancients! I quite like the overall effect of your "Triarii" good looking Spanish and Celts and you can't go wrong with a chariot!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive, Noel. Phenomenal output.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow noice hordes of ancients! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another bomb Noel! Wish I could find the time to paint like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have goblins hidden under your desk to paint all these excellent miniatures for you! Ease up on the lash, give us regular people a chance too!

    ReplyDelete