Sunday 27 December 2020

KenR - 28mm Allied Italian Velites - (120 points)

 

A bit of a disaster at the start of my Italian Allied Legion Project, I've lost 8 Velites ! I prepped everything over a month ago, stuck it in individual unit boxes. I come to the painting stage and 8 have deserted 😤 the word decimation has been whispered in a number of little plastic ears over the last few days !

So if anyone has 8 Victrix Allied Italian Legion Velites they don't want let me know and we can do a trade ! So this unit has 24 figures rather than the planned 32, hopefully I can get them up to full strength before challenge end, unfortunately Victrix sell the figs in boxes of 60, so that would be a massive waste.

A nice basic paint job, I will probably need a bucket full of white paint before I'm done. I've based these on 60 x 30, 2 figs per base to reflect the skirmish role of the unit.

Very happy with the Victrix figures, really nice detail and lots of lovely contours to work wonders on.

So that is 24 x 28mm figures at 5pts a pop for a grand total of 120 points. Next up are my 4 16 figure Hastati Maniples, providing that is that none of them have decided to do one in the middle of the night !



38 comments:

  1. Lovely looking velites! I thought you said 416 hastati,and thought you were Miles!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Ken, I hope the deserters turn up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to paint some light cavalry next to go look for them 😄

      Delete
  3. Well done Ken. Massive accomplishment. Maybe the deserters will appear now that the unit is at strength. Bruce R

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great Ken. Have you tried making up the back pay that the deserters are owed? You don’t do things by half do you with 32 man skirmish per units do you? I make my lights half the size of my heavy units, not twice as big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are half size Peter, the next line is 64 figures 😄

      Delete
  5. Fantastic looking troops. I'm sure your missing troops will turn up in short order

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Ken, getting shading and depth on white is one of my bugbears and these work really well, especially the rough texture of the material which seems very appropriate -well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon 😀 may I recommend the Vallejo Black and White paint set, it has the right colours and a really useful guide 👍

      Delete
  7. Lovely work Ken.
    Don't worry, the eight deserters will show up on the 22nd March.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic painting! I love these faces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, lovely sculpts to work on and they really suit my painting style 👍

      Delete
  9. Great unit, even understrenghth they look very impressive! Velites are youngsters, they are bound to be no early risers...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work Ken. First PrimerGate and now DeserterGate! You have such drama on your hobbytable. They're young, frisky lads, so maybe you should check you village terrain to see if they're chatting up the local lasses. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, I have a suspect in my German Shepherd 🤔

      Delete
  11. Very nice light infantry - those Victrix figures look great. What rules are you using for ancients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, the latest candidate for rules(after a 40 year search! ) is Mortem et Gloriem

      Delete
  12. Awesome looking unit. Best of luck tracking down the AWOL troopers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work Ken. I’m sure the stragglers will be rounded up in due course...

    ReplyDelete
  14. great job. I've noticed that Bradford are playing Port Vale on Tuesday. Fancy a side bet. Winner gets a painted mini from the loser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've supported Bradford for a long time, I think the question my answer to you would be "what figure would you like when Bradford lose" 🤣

      Delete
    2. at least Bradford is a real place. Port Vale is a made up place like Narnia

      Delete
  15. Wonderland stuff Ken. Love em.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a crisp and clean paintjob with some very good basing as well Ken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sander, my old school basing is so old its back in fashion again 😎

      Delete