Sunday 27 December 2020

From SimonG: From out of the marshes a slimy Yokai! (25 points)

For my initial foray into the Chambers of Challenge I offer a Kappa -- just emerged from the stinking marsh of the Aquifer and still dripping with river water.


This is a 38 mm PVC miniature from the "Black Rose Wars" game from the Italian Ludus Magnus studio. Overall these are great sculpts and it is a pity the casting material doesn't do them full justice -- I wish we could get the resin higher quality master castings. I also failed to remember that they need a good washing to get rid of the mold release compound that is a pretty effective water based paint rejector!


I should have gotten creative and added a water effect to the pool he carries on his head (as you all know a Kappa dies if he spills this small pool of water!)






I'll be mixing up a number of these figures alongside my HYW and my 10mm scale project so look for some more interesting fantasy figures to come -- it's fun to try some different colour combinations and work on technique a bit but I do hate the integral bases -- unfortunately as these are key for the game mechanics there's not much I can do about that.

By by reckoning that should be another 25 points towards my target (5 for the figure and 20 for the chamber) -- on next to my work on greyscale!

17 comments:

  1. Excellent looking water monster!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Iain -- I was looking for a dirty, slimy look all round :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not seen one of these before. A really interesting creature, and nicely painted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve no idea what this hairy turtle critter is and I don’t want to get close enough to find out. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind comments Ray, Peter and Noel -- there are lots of other very interesting Japanese monsters (known as Yokai) out there, perhaps we'll see another one or two later in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done Simon, ad I now learned about Yokai.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And here I was thinking the kappa was just the 9th letter in the Greek alphabet... A very nice paintjob and even though you may not like the base it came out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome little critter Simon - love 'im. Tough gig with that water on the brain thing though. No acrobatic manoeuvres for this chap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice to see some eastern themed monsters being painted up for a change. Nice work on your Kappa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a weird creature...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simon, that's a truly gruesome piece of work ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the additional thoughts guys and glad to raise awareness of the lore of ancient Japan (going all Lafcadio Hearn on you now!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's one strange looking dude 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice Simon, I have encountered kappa through Usagi Yojimbo!

    ReplyDelete