Tuesday 19 January 2021

From EdwardG: Curtgeld entry and an extra convention figure (40 points)

 Hi all,

So I have been busy with my main projects of this Challenge (6mm Napoleonics and 28mm Arthurians). However, I have still some work to do on the basing and I awaiting delivery of some more varnish before I can finish and post them. 

Then, I realised I was quickly running out of time to get my Curtgeld entry in. So I grabbed a figure that has been sitting in the lead pile for a while that I have often thought it would be fun to paint. 


It is the Custer figure from Salute 2011 (I think). It was the figure that was given out in the bags with entry. I have only managed to make it to Salute a few times since 2011, but I hope to make it for the next on when ever it is! I wanted to paint the figure in a non-explicitly historical colour pallet. Mostly just enjoying the challenge of painting him. I realise the photos of the blue make it look very glossy, but it is not so shiny in real life. 


Curtgeld Custer


My second figure for this entry was inspired by my painting of this Salute figure. It is another convention figure, this time from the Tactica convention here in Hamburg, in 2019. He is a knight, with a small back story, but I must admit, I cannot remember it. I do know that the fur around his lance is supposedly fox fur, but I am sadly not great at painting it! 
 
Tactica Knight
Tactica Knight
Total points for this entry:
2 x 28mm Mounted = 20points
Curtgeld = 20points
Total = 40points

Hope everyone has a great week at the painting table. With luck I should have some 6mm Napoleonics ready by the weekend! :) 

Best,
Ed


Ahhh, blue. That incredibly awkward colour to photograph well. Nice jobs on GAC and the kernigget.

Tamsin

8 comments:

  1. Lovely one piece civil war cavalry officer! The knight looks like he's straight out of a Durer watercolour, nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes love the Knight model and well painted. Also think based on Durer illustration. Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two awesome models, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine work on these two riders. The Custer has lots of movement but I really like that knight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all,

    Thank you for the kind comments! Just FYI, constructive criticism is also welcome ;)

    I just double checked and the knight from the Tactica show is indeed based on the knight in the „Ritter, Tod und Teufel“ von Albrecht Dürer illustration. It was sculpted by Michael Perry for the show (More information here: https://www.hamburger-tactica.de/?p=14864)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great prize figure! Also, that renaissance knight looks brilliant. I agree with Iain and Jez in that figure looks like a figure study of a Durer woodcut. As a constructive suggestion, you may want to consider giving some of your horses white or black 'sock's to give them a little more visual interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couple of great figs, love the Knight 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete