Tuesday 19 January 2021

From BenitoM: Achtung! Fallschirmjaeger! (30 points)

After a very productive painting weekend, I had the opportunity to return home earlier than usual and finish basing the models of my new entry in the Challenge.

 

Aligned with my approach to the Challenge this year, these are "leftovers" from a previous year project: German Fallschirmjaeger unit for Chain of Command. That unit was intended to fight the mid-late period (43-45). I decided to paint these minis in the early war attire (green jump smock) as part of a project that my club gaming group is looking to do when the lockdown concludes next summer:

 

 

The project is to play Advanced Squad Leader with minis on a table instead of on a board (!). One of the club members (a gifted and resourceful scenery builder) has already created a large batch of big hexagons replicating the ASL boards terrain features in 3D. 

 


I have been playing extensively ASL in VASSAL over a year now but find this project somewhat crazy. Nonetheless, I have no problem in contributing as the models will fit also nicely with my Chain of Command games.

The models are from the Warlord/Bolt Action 28mm plastic box. The sculpting is very good and the potential to personalize each model is almost infinite. The earlier produced Warlord plastic ranges (like the 2WW British infantry) are terrible, but this box is truly good, as was also the Red Berets that I painted for the Challenge two years ago.


 

A warning note to my fellow challengers: DO you research RIGHT before starting a project. Only after I had assembled and primed most of the minis, I discovered that early FJs did NOT wear the very characteristic German gas mask canister; these were added later when the FJs units were used in a plain infantry role. Also, the hen wire helmet cover to attach foliage was used much later in the war.

 

In any case, the models are done ready to jump into the next wargame table. Hopefully I won't bump into some uniform freak player in my future games. With this entry I add 30 points (6 x 28 mm models @5 points),  no bonus though.


Excellent German paras, Benito. Will these be for Crete or 1940?

Tamsin

10 comments:

  1. Great looking paras, love the dynamic poses and believable textures. Excellent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking German paras! Yes, all the time to "late" research eg after building!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tasmsin, good to se you on the saddle again. In principle the plan is to fight a Crete campaign; I have based the models accordingly, in a dry Mediterranean environment

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great, Benito. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those great looking FJ Benito. I recognize the late research problem! Been there, done that, got the figures in the wrong uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look good; I like the subtly different shades of green, grey, and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A decade or more ago, I played a lot of ASL with 15mms, so I am very interested to see how the 28mm version goes!

    Stellar work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Benito, your WW2 figures are always a joy to see 👀
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fallschirmjäger what's not to like I say! These look great Benito!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very well done on those Fallschirmjäger Benito! I think you've nailed the grey-greenish hue of the early smocks perfectly.

    ReplyDelete