Saturday 23 January 2021

From MartinC More US Marines (145pts)

 Any one who has ever discussed wargaming in jungle settings will know my opinion. It's a stupid idea. The trees are too numerous and too tall. Every time you move a figure you lean back up with half the jungle hanging from your jumper. 

Tactically it is also a pain, hidden deployment, booby traps and fog of war are difficult to do. It's slow and patchy.It's one of those games that is best played by email with the umpire running the game and you just getting sketchy updates. Actually I'm playing one of those at the moment, and ACW game, and I'm really enjoying it. No birds eye view is a whole different game.

So a couple of weeks ago Empress announced a flash sale of spare figs. It was Vietnam based and so I bought 29 USMC figs, the NVA figs had all gone.

They arrived in the week and I was massively impressed with the figures, done by Paul Hicks who is randomly a friend of a friend on Facebook. Nothing surprising there but the shared friend has never heard of wargaming (the world is small - 6 degrees of separation and all that.) I appear to be rambling, must speak to Noel about making rambling coherent.

So I've painted them


There are 2 sections of 3 fire teams, this is the 1st.

They were a joy to paint

and i'm really pleased with them

For a random selection of spare figs there is very little duplication

There are too many M60s, think that may be an oxymoron

2nd Section, there is an extra M79 figure (see comment about M60s)

Have I said how much I like the figures.

Will need to buy some NVA and VC and a helicopter and.....
I've been looking at rules but I think I'll use Bolt Action, i do like the rule mechanism (tank rules are rubbish but not planning any of them at moment). Ambush Alley has some great action cards (Community Chest) and I will incorporate those and some booby trap rules.
The games will work well solo and as a dungeon crawler (have A4 terrain tiles with visibility 1 tile NSEW. move an any direction from a tile and all visible tiles are removed and move back the removed tiles are replaced with random tiles. Basically you are lost in the jungle.

Anyway

Scores = 29 x 28mm = 145pts


20 comments:

  1. Great looking grunts Martin. Are you planning to do the Corps in any more eras, having done Nam and ACW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, I was thinking about barbary pirates but the main land battle only involved 9 marines

      Delete
  2. Very nice, those bases work particularly well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Empress Miniatures are greatand you've done a really good job here 👏
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking Vietnam war era marines, looking forward to the helicopter, Viet Cong and NVA!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh this is a lovely range and I must resist. I wouldn’t I’d id have seen the lockdown specials though!

    Nice green tones on these, and the basing sets them off well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, the bad news is they are stunning figs

      Delete
  6. They look good, and the basing is great. Now bring out the choppers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking Marines. Empress has some really nice models available in this range and you've done them proud here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work Martin! I've been ogling that range for a while now but as of yet I didn't cave in...

    ReplyDelete