Saturday 23 January 2021

From BenitoM: Night Watch at the Rhine Limes - Chamber of Darkness (25 points)

A moonless cold night, on guard duty, in this damp godless place... Marcus Agrippa dreaming with Livia... so far away in that small farm in the sunny plains of Etruria...

 


This is my entry for the Chamber of Darkness. At first, my intention was to paint one of my early German 2WW panzer grey vehicles... but then I though "What the heck! Let's have some fun and experiment with de greys"... Thus I chose one of my EIR legionnaires in grey tones... when suddenly I had the idea of putting some context for my model. So one idea lead to another and I finally worked on the theme of a Roman soldier on night watch with a campfire. 

 






The model is 25mm legionnaire from Wargames Foundry (yes, another from my old 80s ancient armies that I'm currently reworking ad repainting). The campfire I did playing a little bit with green stuff. I'm not very skilled with the product, but as a fire presents a rather chaotic shape, I just cut very small pieces and fix all together... the final result (once painted) was effective enough for my purposes.

I guess this entry is worth 25 points: 5 points for the 28mm model plus the chamber bonus. Now moving towards The Larder and looking to finish exploring the dungeon first level.

 

14 comments:

  1. Wow, running OSL Benito and great take on the theme. I have ancients from the 80s, therefore they can’t be old....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, really like the lightning effect 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid greyscale and OSL! The effect works really well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work there.. a double whammy of greyscale and OSL!!! wowzers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work, 🔥 very neat and effective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a fantastic lighting effect! Well done Benito. You aced this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful striking OSL look on him Benito! Bet his night vision is ruined from looking at the fire though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His mind is wandering in long distance places thinking on Livia...

      Delete
  8. Very nice painting- your green stuff fire is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The greyscale mini and OSL from the fire is a wonderful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning idea and wonderfully executed at that. I imagine his Optio ain't quite pleased with him though. Ruining his night vision just like that. Bet it beats freezing off your bollocks though ;-)

    ReplyDelete