Saturday 23 January 2021

From MartinN: The Golem's Haunt (24 points)

Another chamber that took some heavy head scratching. I mean, like many of you I do have a few Fantasy figures flying about the place which would have fit the bill. But I'm not a Fantasy gamer and only once in a blue moon actually fancy the idea of painting anything Fantasy. Thus I was on the verge of skipping this chamber...


But when reading the line "...recreated from steel, clay, earth..." for what felt like the umpteenth time it was that inspiration finally struck. With some leeway for interpretation one could argue that the masters for our miniatures are made from something very similar to clay. In fact Green Stuff, Grey Stuff, Bees Putty and what not are the modern equivalent of the clay our ancestors used to model many a masterpiece for reproduction:

Picture taken by me in the National Archeological Museum Athens in 2018

And to top things off I actually had a master sculpt in my stash. It was shortly before Christmas that through fierce negotiation with the man himself (my favourite sculptor Paul Hicks that is) I managed to get hold of a sculpt he wasn't satisfied with as it was too big as to fit properly with some 1/72 figures he had planned to use alongside it. Made from Grey Stuff and about 23mm from foot to eye:

When put alongside the few AB 20mm miniatures in my collection he's a little bigger but well within the norm. He's simply a rather big fellow but the proportions fit perfectly. When compared with your average 28mm figure he's both too small and too slim to fit in with anything.

Now it took some more head scratching as I couldn't make up my mind as to what to do with this unique piece. And actually I haven't quite decided yet. Thus I simply painted the tab the figure was sculpted onto to look like the wooden floor of a building. So for the time being he'll have pride of place in the cabinet till I can finally decide on his further assignment. I do have an idea already but it'd include getting back into scale modelling after more than 20 years. A prospect I find a little disturbing as of yet...



Points wise this submission is 20 points for the chamber plus another 4 points for a single 20mm figure = 24 points




14 comments:

  1. Lovely looking RAF officer,gorgeous painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever thinking and a beautiful piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relly good work! Looks like a 30mm model, not a 20mm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic highlighting, whilst he may not have a game system yet, he’ll look lovely in the cabinet until you find him one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great figure, great painting 🖼 👌
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent job Nick and that shade of blue is bang on target!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I thought it was stretching the theme a lot until I read it was a master.

    Lovely painting, that blue is exquisite. Can you share what paints it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Phil. Well, actually I thought if others can stretch the envelope to breaking point why should I withhold? ;-)
      As for the paints I used a Base coat of 70.862 Black Grey mixed with 70.925 Blue and a dollop of 70.818 Luftwaffe Uniform WW2. That was then highlighted with increasing ratios of 70.972 Light Green Blue.
      All colours VMC obviously.

      Delete
  8. That’s a gorgeous paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing painting ... think the shading and balance of the RAF blue is fantastic and love the detail of the cap badge and wings.

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete