Friday 22 January 2021

From Mike W - 28mm Elizabethan Irish Kerns and Gallowglas (85 Points)


Today's post sees me flitting back to my Wargames Club's current project - Border Ruffians & Elizabethan Wars in Ireland to paint 15 x 28mm foot figures. I'm so shallow that any reason to change my focus from one project to another will likely distract me!

The Lot as it arrived from eBay

Seven of these little guys represent Gallowglas warriors whist another four represent Kern skirmishers and a final four represent a group of musketeers.

The finished figures

The figures were sourced from an eBay lot that I acquired over the summer but did not have time to paint at the time, three of the Gallowglas figures came without heads so I sent away for some resin Elizabethan heads and added these heads to these figures.

Four of the Gallowglas, all in mail shirts and wielding large axes

Interestingly, I did not realise that at this time the Gallowglas were typically Scots mercenaries that were used to stiffen the forces of the various Irish warlords. In fact in Irish Gaelic, 'Gallowglas' means Foreign Warrior! It was only that I picked up and flicked through a book on the subject that I found out and that was enough to divert me to do these little guys...

Rear view of three of the Gallowglas that have
additional two handed swords to play with...

The three Gallowglas figures who had head transplants!

The four kerns have a variety of weapons, typically javelins, although a couple have swords. The guy the red tunic would be of higher status.

The four Kerns armed with Javelins, Shields and Swords

Finally I have done four guys with muskets, these guys would have been better paid than regular Kerns and they would have spent their money on better clothes - as per the guy in the red cloak and breaches, or protective helmets etc.

The four musket armed figures with sexy hats, pants and cloak!

Most of these figures arrived undercoated black, I added my own white undercoat and then painted on the generic light brown / ochre coloured cloth. Oily Steel was applied for helmets and chainmail before flesh colour was added for bare skin areas.

Other detail was added as needed before applying coloured washes from Army Painted to add shading. This is a different approach to how I have painted other figures in the collection, where I used a simple Dark Tone wash or Dip to add the shading, I like the results - a brighter, seemingly cleaner resulting figure.

I have a box full of these Irish to do but they would be ineligible for the challenge as many are already pre painted - my task (one day) is to take them off their group bases, repaint to integrate with my existing collection and then put on to single bases.

One day...

POINTS

17 x 28mm Foot Figures @5 Pts Each = 75 Points

14 comments:

  1. Great to see this period getting some love. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Peter, on both counts: the period and specially Ireland gets little love and your figures are very
    well done. Thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know next to nothing about the period, OK more like nothing at all, but these fine chaps look like a fierce bunch! Very nice work and the yellow and red works together splendidly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many fellows with two-handed weapons...all looking very "solutions-oriented"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see some gallowglass and Kern! Very nicely done to, always good to see what were really dark age homicidal maniacs in a renaissance world!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice - I’m just trying to work out whether I’d rather have the trusty two handed axe, or what I can only imagine is a somewhat new and unreliable musket.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work; those choppers look purposeful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work on these fearsome fellows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A load of drunken Irish people with weapons, reminds me of a family wedding 🤣
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post ... love the Gallowglass - two handed axes and two handed swords as a backup - nasty!

    Thumbs Up Jez

    ReplyDelete