Friday 22 January 2021

Iain W 28mm War of three Kingdoms cuirassiers (80 points)

 Here we have 8 cuirassiers to give me a  unit in pike and shot for the War of three Kingdoms, which is a less Anglo centric name for the English civil war and it  also dates from the 17th century. 

Like the pike and shot rules these figures are from Warlord games, most of them are from the cuirassiers box set ,which are metal figures and plastic horses,  as you get 12 figures and my units are 8, I've added a plastic figure, cut off his left arm and repurposed one of the spare metal right arms and given him a spare right arm to finish him off and make up the numbers.  

I've gone for a  mix of metal and blackened armour and a variety of buff,I'm kind of looking forward to doing a unit in a uniform soon , that might be easier!

The flag is from the box set and is meant to be Essex's unit of cuirassiers at Edgehill,there's a lot of chat about cuirassiers in this war and there only being one unit Heselrig but I'm not convinced you can absolutely prove it so I'm going to do another unit for the Royalists!









So that's 80 points, still nothing for the Napoleonic duel but it's  still January and I'm wading through 24 more gendarmes, focus, they're a great band aren't they?

All the best Iain 


30 comments:

  1. Very nice looking lobsters Iain, love the blackened plate and buff combo. Also a big fan of your trumpeter and standard bearer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! For the blackened armour I just did a citadel black wash over the primer,but it came out nicely!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Super paint job. Going to have to start calling it WTK instead of ECW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scooba! Hey, whatever initials you fancy!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Very nice indeed. And I didn’t know the ECW had another name, so I’ve learnt something today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! Every day's a school day!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Very nicely done! They look quite striking in their rather ornate armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! The great thing is I can change the flag and use them for the thirty years war too!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. What a great looking unit Iain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those red sashes really tie them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gone for a primary red somewhere between Parliaments orange and the Royalists scarlet, so I can get away with either!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Always one of my favourite ECW units, Iain, and very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Ken! Can't wack renaissance cavalry!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. From the title, my initial thought was that yoy had painted up some Chinese horsemen. Great looking ECW cavalry, Iain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart! I guess their Chinese scholarship wasn't up to much in 17th century Britain!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Thanks very much Christopher!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete