Monday 8 March 2021

From Jeff B: Level 1 - Chamber 4 - The Aquifer (25 points)



Seaman McNulty gripped the wheel with white knuckled hands as he changed coarse as commanded. He could see the approaching enemy ships altering course as well. Below him on decks was a hive of activity with Midshipmen ordering crew and gunners to clear decks and prepare to engage the swiftly closing enemy ships.



I rarely mix colors as I find it tedious, difficult to master, and wasteful as I usually don't get to finish up what I mix. However in this case since I knew it was a one off figure I experimented and added an off white color to the tan to make 2 highlight shades for the base color and a light cream to the grey to make 2 highlight shades for his grey trousers.







I believe that this is a dated Old Glory Casting from one of the large resin sailing ship kits, it's quite heavy indeed. The helmsman is a simple and fairly clean casting, nothing extravagant, and is a good basic casting that will do the job well. The legs are a bit thick, but at his station on his ship he looks the business and is a perfectly good wargame model.






I painted this ship about 8 years ago for a Yorktown game we assisted a good friend and clubmate of mine Bill Moreno of Good Ground Miniatures was running for one of our HMGS-South's two Florida cons. The sails are by The Flag Dude and the excellent rigging was done by another long time (41 + years) friend and clubmate Jorge Sanchez Galarraga. If it wasn't for Jorge and his friends letting the little kid play with them in the 70's I may not still be so involved and enamored with our awesome hobby today. Thanks gents!

The Aquifer Chamber = 20 pts, (1) 28mm fig = 5 pts: Total: 25 Pts


Oh! Thank goodness! I thought for a minute that I might have to come up with a suitable score for the ship!
Nice job on the helmsman - as you say, it is a good, basic wargames figure.

Tamsin

5 comments:

  1. He looks great on the ship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfectly suitable nautical figure Jeff and thanks for the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking helmsman and he looks totally at home on his ship!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful on the sailor, he looks like a steady hand at the helm. Love what I can see of the ship.

    ReplyDelete