Monday 8 March 2021

From PhilH: Bringing Death at the Chamber of Darkness (62 Points)

Again, the Level 1 Chambers of Challenge were kind to my Challenge planning, as I had just the thing for the Chamber of Darkness. Alas, I bottled doing anything in true greyscale, rather had a set of Star Wars Legion Death Troopers that I was itching to sling some paint on. These were out of stock for literally a year after I bought into Legion. FFG's abiltiy to keep product in stock was woefully lacking, especially in the UK. But I managed to snag a box at a random game store in the US. Maybe the new curator of Legion will sort out the logistics of being able to sell product to Star Wars fanboys.
Death Troopers made their debut in 2016's Rogue One, as bodyguards for Death Star architect Director Orson Krennic. Basically they're the super-elite special forces to the regular Imperial Stormtroopers, instantly becoming fan-favourites and being crammed into every piece of Star Wars media since. But the do look pretty badass, so that's fair enough.
I used Sorastro's painting guide for these, he uses a blue-black tone which, while not strictly right, adds visual interest. I didn't take the highlights as far though. I couldn't resist adding some OSL to the glowy chin-lights.
They're strong in Legion: tough, adaptable and hard-hitting, but are a big points sink. Which of course makes them the biggest magnet for opponent's laser blasts, so the inevitably don't achieve much. Ho hum. Maybe I need another box. These were finished way back, but stuck in limbo while I hunted fora new varnish: my beloved Testor's Dullcote being discontinued (and my latest can not being a patch on the usual finish). Thanks to Nick for the recommend of Army Painter Matte, which did the trick here.
Six models nigh on 40mm tall, plus the Chamber bonus, for 62 Points. Onwards!

Those Death Troopers look great, Phil. The blue-black works nicely. I enjoy watching Sorastro's videos, despite the fact that the models he paints aren't ones that I am ever likely to.

62 points are headed your way.

Tamsin


6 comments:

  1. Magnificent work on the black! Proper intimidating stormtroopers; what's not to like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart move to provide them with transparant bases, it uncreases their useability. What glue did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always tough to do black but your highlighting here is superb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely finish on these troopers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I like that blue black.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black isone of the hardest colours to get right and you've done a brilliant job with it 👏
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete