Wednesday 17 March 2021

From Millsy: Lord of the Rings Bad Guys (271 points)

Hi All,

I've started up a new project for 2021 with the intent of running large sized fantasy games of SAGA using the fan-created A Fantastic Saga rule set. These predated the official SAGA: Age of Magic rules and I actually prefer them. Hopefully I will be running 18-24 points per side games starting at the June long weekend this year. Battle of the Five Armies anyone?

The production quality is superb and the way the writer only added to the original SAGA rules was very clever indeed. Sadly no longer supported with the advent of the official rules, they still more than adequate for my purposes and I am building out army lists and battle boards for all the major and some minor protagonists.

I'm not adhering strictly to the Peter Jackson movie interpretation of the races as some of it has never sat comfortably for me based on my lifelong reading. Rather I am putting my own spin on things and using a mix of official and other miniatures with a focus on plastics, kit bashing and only using metal minis where necessary. So far I have painted up...

Uruk-hai (95 points)

Gorgeous old skool Mark Copplestone half-orcs from the Grenadier stable.
Note the lack of a white hand or red eye until I have enough painted to do both.



Skin tone is P3 Bloodstone thinned to a wash over a white undercoat. Quick and effective.







A few mold lines I was unable to remove unfortunately but hardly noticeable from gaming distance.





Orcs (80 points)

Common garden (should that be cave?) variety orcs using Oathmark plastic Goblins. Most people seem to agree these are too large for goblins and proxy them for orcs.






Skin tone is Vallejo Green Ochre thinned to a wash over a white undercoat.







Goblins (96 points)

Red Box Games plastic Goblin Warriors #2 set roughly 20mm in size. 48 goblins for US$17.95 + shipping is pretty good value. Based in lots of 2 per base and units of 6, these are a new troop type in A Fantastic Saga called "Creature Packs" which can represent anything from swarms of crap troops as in this case to large monsters.



Skin tone is Vallejo Green Ochre thinned to a wash over a white undercoat again.



The 271 point total for these chaps should see me pass my 1,500 point total with a day or two to spare. I hope to get a few more minis in before Challenge end but if not I'm not bothered as I hit my goal. Nice.

Cheers,
Millsy

Thats quite the greenskin bomb there. The mix of figure types works really well and I do like the muted ocre skin tones - works a treat 

Well done on meeting your Challenge target mate, thats an awesome achievement no matter how many times you've done it before. This Cap'n scores that little horde in at 295 points, being that they are all 28mm figs. 

Cap'n W

9 comments:

  1. Thats a great boat load of baddies Millsy! Good luck with gaming this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of bad guys Millsy! I do like the Orc skin tone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this project, using Middle Earth as a basis for your Saga Fantasy. Brilliant paintwork Millsy, I really like those Red Box goblins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, much appreciate. And thanks Cap'n Wednesday for the upgrade. There'll be an invitation to help run these chaps about at some point I promise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pointsbomb Millsy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking mob of orcs and goblins!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magnificent stuff, love the skin tones!

    Where can one find these rules?

    ReplyDelete