Wednesday 17 March 2021

From SidneyR: "The Snowlord's Treasury" (34 points)

 


I have a confession to make, dear Challengers.  This Chamber was one which I was excited about right from the start of the Challenge.  I started thinking about the possibility of a sedan chair carrying a box of secret Imperial papers, or a collection of tulip sellers and purchasers at the height of the "Tulip Bubble" in 17th century Amsterdam... 

Some of these might even be ready and waiting for painting, but they'll not be making an appearance in this Challenge, sadly.

No, the ticking clock of Challenge XI waits for no woman or man, my friends.  Like many Challengers, I'm running short of time, so my entry for this Chamber is a little less impressive that what I'd originally anticipated.

But still, I hope, my offering for "The Snowlord's Treasury" passes muster - and includes a couple of forgotten miniatures from my lead mountain of the type which our dear Snowlord loves so much.  Please, dear Challengers, allow me to explain...



The treasure chests are a real mix.  The one on the right is vintage 2021, from Midlam miniatures.  A very clean and pleasant sculpt, which I strongly recommend.  

The one on the left, though, is vintage 1981.  Gosh yes, it is that old.  It was originally owned by a great friend of mind at school, Michael, who sold me all of his Lamming medieval figures sometime around 1983 (when he moved to Sheffield).  

Mike was (and still is) an incredible artist.  He was always streets ahead of everyone in the art class at school with an amazing natural talent.  He painted the treasure chest very well (using Humbrol enamels!) back in the 80s, but after decades of regular use in various wargames and hundreds of roleplaying sessions the treasure chest was looking very battered and worn.

So much so that I felt it needed a complete repaint, and basing properly (instead of the beer-mat cardboard it was based on).  Here it is, repainted, and hopefully ready for decades more use in many dungeons and wilderness campaigns to come.


As befitting any Treasury, there are two loyal guardians of the treasure chests.  I tried to mirror the chests by choosing a Midlam Miniatures fighter (with the beard and chainmail hauberk) and an Oldhammer warrior (yes, he's the chap with the bulging muscles).


The Midlam fighter is a real pleasure to paint.  It's very versatile, gesturing for some unknown adversary - whether kobold, orc, thief or assassin - to "get some".  The OldHammer warrior, sporting a steel "bucket-helm", has been knocking around the lead-mountain for years.  Like many of my other OldHammer Challenge XI painting contributions, painting the figure was such a joy that I felt genuinely ashamed to have left it unpainted for so long.

Anyway, here they are, with many wonderful battles to come in the future to defend their treasure chests...


And for the points, two guardians of the Treasury, in 28mm, at 5 points each (10 points), and can I suggest 2 points for each of the Treasure Chests (4 points)?  Then there's the 20 points for "The Snowlord's Treasury", adding to a total of 34 points.

And the Snowlord's Altar is starting to loom much nearer.  At last.... I'm almost there...!  Just one Chamber to go... 



******* 


11 comments:

  1. Great work Sidney. Love the story on the older chest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Peter!! Part of the fun of the older miniatures is trying to remember - "...where did I get this, and what was it for?"

      Delete
  2. Really nice minis, Sidney, and great backstory, too. I like the idea of mixing ancient and modern in a single post - will try to remember that for Challenge XII!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel!! We should have had a Chamber for "Ancient and Modern". Oh well, note to Curt: Please include for Challenge XII !!

      Delete
  3. Lovely old school treasures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain!! 1981 is as far back as my collection of metal miniatures goes... so this really was "from the beginning"!

      Delete