Wednesday 17 March 2021

From SidneyR: SHAZZAMM for "The Laboratory" (30 points)

 


"Shazz-AMMMMM..... A-LA-kazooom......  Oh, another disappointing spell.  What's the next one in the spell-book?"

For my "Laboratory", I've painted a couple of slightly insane Colour-Wizards from way back in the mists of wargaming time.  A long time back, when I used to play Warhammer Fantasy Battles, colour-magic and the colleges of Colour Wizards were all the rage.  I remember being a bit bemused by the rules, but always liked the idea of wizards belonging to different schools of magic - especially with that slightly mad link between the colleges of magic and the colours of magical winds.


I had a couple of wizards planned for this Chamber, and it's been great to get them finally finished.  One of the wizards is from Midlam Miniatures and is described as being a "Dwarven Mage" (he's the smaller one).  The other is Saruman - well, more accurately, he's the Saruman miniature from the 1980s Citadel Miniatures "Lord of the Rings" range.   I thought both would make perfect Wizards for the "Celestial Magic" school... which, looking at my Oldhammer books, is the Blue School of Colour Magic.

So, out with the Vallejo Dark Blue and Vallejo Prussian Blue, then, dear Challengers!


Both miniatures are very nice sculpts. The facial expressions on both are very 'wizard-ly', and the (no doubt) magical rings on both wizards' fingers are well sculpted in both cases.


I particularly liked the palantir for Sarum... errr, the larger Blue wizard.  I'm not sure i've painted it as well as I might have done, but - hey - it's blue!

So, for the points - 5 points each for a wizard (10 points), plus 20 for "The Laboratory", gives a total of 30 points as I finally start to approach the Snow Lord's Altar!


******* 
Lovely work there with the rich blues Sidney - always great to see some older sculpts getting some love!

Cap'n Wednesday

13 comments:

  1. Fabulous looking wizards Sid! I really miss the old Colleges of Magic from WFB, and these bring back that nostalgia. I particularly like the Saruman figure (I forgot that Citadel did a LotR range back then). The Palantir is terrific - when I stare into it's depths I think I can see a flaming lidless eye...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt!! Those Colleges of Magic were.... wow, as crazy as psychedelically-smooth West Coast acid jazz...

      I had fun with the Palantir. I could have done better, though. I'm sure I remember how to "do" jewels properly!! Challenge XII....I'll be better next time ;)

      Delete
  2. Amazing brushwork as ever Sidney, just wow!

    As Curt says, the Palantir is amazing...although when I stare into it, I just see a steak on the BBQ...it must be spring soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your vision much better Greg. I'm sure Saruon served up great steaks (Hobbit Ribeye). ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Greg!! Now I'm feeling hungry!!

      Delete
  3. Great work on the wizard, the blues are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pair of wizards!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double wizards....double trouble ;) Thanks Iain!!

      Delete