Thursday 2 January 2020

AdamC: Defensive Ground on Hawkins' Hill (40 Points)

Way Back in Challenge VI there was a bonus round called "defensive ground"  I had it in mind to build a shattered house of the sort that became the temporary home and strong point for many a squad or platoon of soldiers in the Second World War.  I didn't get it done in time got it almost built but not painted since no points were awarded for terrain back then I had not really motivation(as I had plenty of terrain). So it languished for years... sitting on a corner of my table more or less ignored but this challenge as brought it up form the ashes.
 The walls are crock board which I always find makes a good impression as crumbling masonry and the base is a piece of thin plywood with some of that plastic cobble stone stuff you find around Christmas time. More cork, aquarium gravel and other odds and end give it a bit more of a ruined look.  The inside room should have more rubble but I did with out to so troops will sit better.
I painted things a simple gray then did a heavy black paint wash to give it a soot stained look then dry brushed in a lighter color gray.
Dimensions and points base is 5x6 with a height of just over 2.5 inches.  That's about a 3rd of a 6 inch Cube as I calculate it so about 7 points? Adding that to the 30 bonus points Hawkin's Hill and you get 37 points. 
Glad to have this one done. This is my 4th point of the map.
I'm now going around to O'Grady's Gulch to take my 5th point and then it will be time to see about heading up snow Lords Peak.  

This is a great defensive position, I have visions of Jack Palance berating Eddie Albert within its walls. Homework for all Challengers. Watch "Attack", probably again. There will be a test!
I always find the points for terrain a little harsh given the time it can take to therefore I will round up to 40 points - I think that Miles' spreadsheet will melt if I try to add a 0.33333333333333 to the maths.


14 comments:

  1. Thank for the extra 3 points and the kind words. Can't tell you how glad I am to have this one in the done column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Adam, you could have have met a couple of challenge locations with this piece given its history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems odd to say a ruin looks well-built, but it does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking piece of terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nicely done, effective and easy to move figures inside of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aha, a first Challenger to scale Hawkins Hill, congratulations.

    Your prize is a fine vista over Challenge Island, with a faint feeling of inadequacy as Snowlord’s peak looms over you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm Happy to have planted the first Flag here... cold breeze off that peek!

      Delete
  7. Nice work on the strongpoint, long may your troops hold it.

    ReplyDelete