Thursday 2 January 2020

Sarah's Balloon Flight: Druid (35 points)

With this entry I hereby summon Sarah's Balloon to transport me elsewhere on the island.



Around March last year I was looking for a wargame that people were playing regularly on a day I could make. One of my friends invited me to his monthly Kings of War game - it's a fantasy massed battle rank and flank game designed for two players lasting 6 turns (can go one more depending on a dice roll). It takes a couple of hours for a standard game.

You do need a substantial army and I found a beat up Forces of Nature army on EBay and a nice box of elves and stuff at a bring and buy. The rehab of the EBay army is complete and I'm now painting up the fantasy stuff from the bring and buy. This elf (or half elf?) magic user was in the box and will do nicely as a druid - druids are useful, low points cost magic users in the Forces of Nature list - flinging lightning bolts, healing and making your regiments of naiads, lizards and elementals more effective in combat.


Until last year my experience of painting fantasy figures was limited to a few Citadel D&D adventurers in the early 1980s. I'm enjoying the break from button counting and worrying about the right shade of field grey to experiment with different paints and colours - I'm hoping to make a start on my Nightstalkers army for Kings of War as part of Challenge X.


I have no idea of the manufacturer when this was made - GW? She has a ton of detail from skulls in her hair to a snake at her left ankle. There's jewelry and various bones and straps. I opted for a simple, Forces of Nature-y, colour palette. I'm looking forward to seeing how she does as part of my Kings of War Army.


I'm still working on a good formula for blond hair that isn't too yellow and isn't too brown. Any tips would be much appreciated.



Sarah's Balloon Ride will take me to Docherty's Dock where I hope to get to grips with a camel or four.

Upon landing I would sip glass of champagne to celebrate the completion of entry number six - but it's the middle of the day on the west coast and the champagne's still chilling in the fridge so I'll forgo the bonus drinking points until the next balloon trip. One 28mm figure (5 points) and first journey on Sarah's Balloon (30 points) for a total of 35 points.



This is a truely beautiful figure. She is an old Wargames Foundry figure and a woodland nymph, part of a large collection of naked and mainly naked women. You have done a fantastic job. Kings of War is a brilliant game, bonkers and great fun.


16 comments:

  1. Very nicely done. I've just started a nightstalkers force for Vanguard, the skirmish version of Kings of War. I look forward to seeing your army sized version

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous work on this figure Pete, I especially like the groundwork.

    Leave it to Martin to know the provenance of any naked female figures that has ever been offered on the market. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oy.ok so I bought the full set, they are excellent, it a bit NSW

      Delete
  3. I spy incoming ...

    This is a little beauty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome work, the base really sets the scene too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work. I like the basing and the snake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Lady Sarah and the magnificent Elf Lady will have a Grand Adventure while flying across the Island, ... especially with champagne on the horizon 🥂🎈

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice druid indeed and the details are great

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really beautiful rendition - I really like this figure - great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work, excellent painting.

    ReplyDelete