Saturday 14 March 2020

From PeteF: A Legion of Gribbley Horrors (265 points)



Kings of War encourages multibasing - whereby gamers can make dioramas out of their units rather than just ranking up their troops on small square bases. I decided to embrace multibasing for my Nightstalkers army and pay homage to various (mostly horror) films as part of the project.



One of the infantry options for Nightstalkers is Scarecrows. They can be in regiments of 20, hordes of 40 or legions of 60. If the troops "fill the base" it's OK not to have full model count and because of the terrain I made for this unit and the need to create a bit of space around the creepy girl, I only managed to squeeze in 49 scarecrows.





A legion is a bit of a daunting prospect to paint - I used contrast paints for the skin, tendrils and ragged clothes, colour shift Afterburner from Turbo Dork (a putrid gold colour) for the metal weapons and a fair amount of drybrushing to provide highlights and a hint of blood on the skin. Normal layers were used for the smaller details - like bits of string and teeth.  The bluish purple skin colour is similar to what I used for the Butchers and is a mix of Leviadon Blue and Shyish Purple.



The well is scratch build from various bits and Milliput. I put a couple of LEDs in it to light it from the inside and built the lid so that the light will show round the edges - like in the movie poster. Muwahahaha.





The girl is from Studio Miniatures' horror range. She gives me the creeps - which I suppose is the idea. My wife told me she hopes my toys don't come alive when the lights are off! If they do I'm relying on the Napoleonic and WW2 armies to club together to keep these gribblies at bay.





I watched the film almost 20 years ago and it is maybe the last horror movie I saw - although I no longer like the thrill of being terrified for entertainment,  I have enjoyed coming up with horror themed multibases for the Nightstalkers.


spare spectre 


I found one more spectre that I painted earlier in the Challenge so I'm entering him here too. I think I'll use him as a "mindless" levy figure for SAGA, Age of Magic. Was hoping to get this published on Friday 13th... but the pools of blood (Woodland Scenics realistic water) took too long to dry. 50 regular foot and one child for 253 points.





From DaveD - great lets start the day with a points bombe! nice idea for the LED to - a fine looking nasty legion - so lets call that 265.



9 comments:

  1. Well I’m scarred for life. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a legion! Great stuff Pete. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly horrible submission! I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course. Excellent crowd of unwelcome visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nasty bunch of nightmares! Lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! That girl from The Ring is such a great centerpiece for the unit. I need one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That creepy girl is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete