Saturday 20 March 2021

From Guy B: [Hall of Heroes] We could be heroes, just for one day... [90 points]

These lovely miniatures almost were the miniatures for the Oubliette. I bought some lovely BEF miniatures (from BEF Miniatures) over a decade ago, but never got round to painting them. They are now supplemented by Warlord Games and 1st Corps models. 


I loved the BEF Miniatures, but they were sold to Warlord Games, so are no more. The Warlord models are similar but not the same sculpts (I'm not sure why). The Bren gunner above is a Warlord one.


The models are painted in Vallejo colours but using thinners to achieve a washed effect (similar to contrast). I'm still experimenting with the technique, I'm not 100% happy with it, but it shows promise.


Oddly, the Warlord ones come with separate heads and are a tad shorter than the BEF ones. I am glad to get paint on these finally and have enjoyed painting them.


Next, I need to add some vehicles and support weapons, probably an 18/25 pounder. A Matilda tank would be cool, probably the Mark 1.


There is also the 1st Corps range, which I do like. The sculpting is perhaps a tad simpler than other ranges, but they mix in fine. Painted up, you can't tell the difference. The Boyes team is a 1st Corps model.


So, that's fourteen heroic BEF soldier ready to defend Dunkirk, Calais or a Seelowe invasion. I make that 70 points plus the 20 point bonus.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Something for your Blitzkrieg Germans to shoot at!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful work Guy. I have some of these as well from when they were still BEF Miniatures. Makes me rather nostalgic. BTW, prone figures are 1/2 points so this scores for 13 figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Guy! Go with the Matilda 1, you know you want to :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sculpts have a lot of character!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking collection of BEF,of all makes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great, love the cig and the grey moustache in the first photo. Matilda 1, now there’s a dorky looking tank.

    ReplyDelete