Saturday 20 March 2021

From SidneyR: Hobbit Princeling for "The Hall of Heroes" (30 points)

 


On the last day of Challenge XI, I've just a couple of things to post.  I'm just about done on my submission for the Snowlord's Altar, but before that I wanted to post something for "The Hall of Heroes".

I'm sure like many of you, dear Challengers, I had intended "The Hall of Heroes" to be a more leisurely, larger submission.  But - tick, tick, tick - somewhere the hours have evaporated, and I've only time for posting a single hero.  But, when it comes to heroes, none are larger in fantasy literature than a hobbit!


I've painted a wonderful Copplestone Castings (now available from North Star Miniatures) one-piece casting of a halfling hero, which I am very sure is supposed to be Peregrin Took, in his famous role as a Guardian of the Citadel of Minas Tirith.

Painting Pippin reminded me that its so much easier to paint a one piece casting instead of a horse and a rider - especially when the rider is clothed in a mail hauberk and a black cloak!  One thing I did try was to highlight the black cloak using a mix of Vallejo Model Colour Dark Grey and Vallejo Model Colour Pink.  I know that does sound odd - and, no, I'm not really obsessed with the colour pink - but the slightly pink tone really made the highlight pop (I thought).


I really enjoyed painting the figure, not least because the pony was just a wonderful casting to paint.  I finished off the base (from Warbases) with some WSS Scenics tufts, brushed with PVA and some dry-brushed paint.


For the points, it's a 28mm figure giving 10 points for the figure (horse & rider) and 20 points for "The Hall of Heroes".  And with just one Chamber left, I wonder where my beach-lounging skeletons are for the "Graveyard Beach"? ....and is there still time for one last Chamber?


******* 

8 comments:

  1. Ah, Sidney, that is a lovely Peregrin Took. Beautiful work and I'm going to try that pink effect sometime, though I think you may have the artists hand for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed. Lovely brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb work Sid. I am fighting hard not to invest in some of these for North Star at the minute but I suspect I will fail having seen this. I use the Black Grey to highlight too but will be giving the pink a go instead of my occasional blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed with the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pink mix for the highlight looks really good. I think it's tips and idea like this that've made the Challenge so much more enjoyable than just bbrosing people's work. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely mounted hobbit hero! The pink highlight sounds interesting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete