Saturday 20 March 2021

KenR - 28mm Wars of the Roses - Last Post - 142 points

 

Well this was a bit of an unexpected entry, I had planned out the Challenge to a tee and honestly thought "that lot will see me over my target" . So when I finished my Legion and totted up the point being 12 short of my target was slightly annoying, but every cloud has a silver lining.


I spoke to Gareth Lane and Chris Breeze on the Yarkshire Gamer Reet Big Wargames Podcast about their #worldwarroses Project which will see players from around the world battling out a Wars of the Roses game over a weekend in march and I said I would do a little retinue to show my support for the Project.


So I had bought and primed the figures last month with the intention of painting them up post Challenge but needing points I started to paint, I did the Command stand first really quickly and decided to plow through the unit of Archers in quick time and the varnish dried on them 10 minutes ago.


So points wise I have two 28mm mounted for 20 points, 24 foot at 5 points each for 120 and a couple of points for the two flags, the 142 points will take me nicely over my total.


The livery is for an earlier period (Earl of Chester) but the figures have been done as a generic Cheshire Retinue. I have figures for a unit of 24 Bill men and 16 Dismounted Men at Arms. I've always wanted a Front Rank army, I love their figures, I've painted them for others in the past but these are the first which I'm keeping. After that who knows but I have no plans to Go Big with Wars of the Roses (stop laughing) but you all know I've said that before.


So that's it for another year, thanks as always to Curt for organising this wonderful event, I really look forward to it every year and I'm already thinking of a big Project to do next year. Thanks to everyone who has commented on my posts, I tried to keep up putting a comment on each post myself to encourage everyone but the volume of posts (it seems like there has been loads more individual posts this time, Millsy ?) and work meant I couldn't keep up. 

I'll do a Challenge Wrap photo next week. 



25 comments:

  1. Impressive sprint for the finish line Ken- well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work on these mate (as always).

    ReplyDelete
  3. For an unplanned entry you've knocked these out in a quick time and done a fantastic job in the process. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stuart, they came out better than expected 👍

      Delete
  4. I was curious about your shortfall, so am delighted to see you recover with such aplomb! Beautiful work Ken, and in such quick order as well. Much to envy here. Thanks for joining in on the fun - it's always a pleasure to have you with us. Now, you and I need to organize a Zoom game of 'Furioso' sometime, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I definitely miscounted, I assumed a Legion of 28mm would be enough. I will definitely look into the zoom thing, I'm just about to dip back into the Italian Wars big time.

      Delete
  5. Marvellous. The faces have a really cool "stained glass" medieval look

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super stuff Ken. FR WotR stuff are amongst my favourite minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Millsy, can't believe it has taken me this long to get some done

      Delete
  7. Very nice, I like the contrast of the colourful banners!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant looking war of the roses Ken!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, only you could do up this many medievals to get the final 12 points! The6 look wonderful and I look forward to seeing you do St Albans or Wakefield on a 1:1 scale next year.
    Oh, and on the funnies side my Google feed now gives me regular updates on BCFC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, after the Legion I think I was desperate to paint anything so long as it wasn't white !

      My apologies for the Bradford City updates, at least you can feel my pain now 😁

      Delete
    2. How do we feel about the fixture against Scunthorpe on Tuesday?

      Delete
    3. Guaranteed draw, probably 0-0

      Delete
  10. Splendid looking war of the Roses retinue, lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete