Saturday 20 March 2021

From NoelW: The Last Post: 321 points

And so we face the final curtain. I’ve been tidying up the painting desk. Look how clean and pristine it is, with no more than 2 or 300 half painted figures scattered around. So much better than 3 months ago.

So I’ve four final offerings.

Firstly, 15 Byzantine infantry by Fireforge. I bought these on a whim, thinking they’d give me another infantry unit for Oathmark. But, not knowing anything about Byzantine warfare, I’m now thinking abut building a Byzantine army starting here – so, any tips would be more than welcome.




I've painted the shields white because I don't know any better, and I'm hoping to be able to source decals which will fit these shields, but so far no luck.

Next, 12 Late Roman cavalry by Gripping Beast. I’m not clear if “Late Roman” and Byzantine are in any sense connected – does Late Roman immediately precede “Byzantine”, for example? Or could both units be used in the same army?

My aim with these figs was to add a cavalry contingent to a handful of Wargames Foundry Arthurian foot which I bought second hand and am slowly repainting. Again, these figures will firstly be used within Oathmark, but gradually built up into a (small) army of the period. I like the idea of being able to fight hordes of huns, though my collection currently contains only 3 (unpainted) huns. I’ll probably end up squinting at a Mongol horde and calling it “hunnic”.

Shields and standard (which I fear is almost invisible) are by Little Big Man.




Third up: 6 more cavalry. These are all Perry plastics, consisting of one more Agincourt French knight (Jean, Baron of Ligne – I quite like the fact that his escutcheon consists of a “line”, but I guess French nobility maybe did not think of it like that) and 5 mounted archers. The archers are, of course, later in period than Agincourt, suitable for the Italian wars, which is where they’ll end up but they may also occupy a place in an Oathmark force for a while.




And finally Esther (reference only to be understood by UK citizens of a certain age): 13 Perry Afghans, a mix of metal and plastic. As usual with Perry figures, it’s quite difficult to tell plastic from metal, which is always a sign of decent castings. One or two of the poses I’ve created are a little melodramatic, because I intend some of these figures at least to serve in fantasy pirate games as well as the NW Frontier. I’ve tried to paint them in relatively subdued colours, as seems to be most accurate, but my brush continually strays towards the vivid and bright, so it’s been difficult to make them both interesting and reasonably realistic.



And that's my lot for Challenge XI. I wonder where we'll find ourselves in Challenge XII. Wandering a Victorian mansion where weird Chthuluesque creatures award bonus points in the basement? Trapped in a mad time machine that demands we interdimensional palettes? My bet is we'll be heading out among the stars to visit unexpected planets where paintbrushes grow on trees, volcanoes spew out Contrast colours and the only communication is through puns.

I can't wait.

Scoring: that’s 18 x 28mm cavalry: 180 points

28 x 28mm infantry: 140 points

1 flag: 1 point

TOTAL: 321 points

I’d like to thank Curt for keeping this crazy challenge going despite the obvious impact on his sanity; Lady Sarah, of course, for keeping the crazy Snowlord going despite the almost inevitable impact on her sanity; the many manic minions for their administrative brilliance (cough), irrespective of their sanity; everyone who has taken a couple of minutes to wade through my verbiage or to comment on my posts; my wife for not complaining about the paint that somehow found its way onto the living room curtains; my son for barely mentioning the bristling fragment of sprue embedded in his cushion when he sat down to watch evening TV; our cat for recovering from what seemed to me a terminal illness halfway through the Challenge; my agent; all of the production crew; JRR Tolkien; my friend Napoleon; Mr Harrap, my history teacher, for illustrating how badly a man could shave when he should have been telling us about Saratoga; all of history for just being there when it was needed….a white van has just drawn up….there are men in white coats getting out….one of them appears to have a taser….interesting…

  

12 comments:

  1. A wonderful array of painting projects and a smashing final post Noel. It's been a pleasure following your story through the chambers. Hopefully those nice gentlemen in white coats will see fit to release you again in time for the next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.s. And there must be a Squirrel or two in there, surely?

      Delete
    2. You're right, Stuart - I completely forgot about Squirrels! Four more of the furry little blighters here, making my total for the Challenge 26 Squirrels.

      Delete
  2. Great final post, you've had a suitably mad challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. A superb final post - Byzantine infantry is always a crowd pleaser. You have been a most formidable and cheerful painting companion. Very well done, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work and a great way to end the Challenge. Nicely done sir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful final post Noel. I very much enjoyed your adventuring in the Chambers of Challenge, to the point where I think I need to make up a set figures to represent your party. Who knows that may be a challenge set out for you next year! :) Thank you for all your enthusiasm and support Noel. I look forward to that article in WI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fun and eclectic post as always!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive final post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice collection Noel really like those Byzantines. Basically Early Byzantine is very similar to Late Roman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool last entry Noel. Well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always your painting is top notch, but it's the poetry that takes away the prize, thanks heaps for your awesome stories Noel!

    ReplyDelete