Saturday 20 March 2021

From MartinN: A last Hurrah! [143 points]

So here we are, yet another challenge drawing to an (untimely) close. As others I haven't painted nearly as much as I planned for but I definitely painted more than I had hoped for. With this final submission I will have a good few support selections for my 20mm Soviets in games of Chain of Command. A force I hadn't even planned to paint this year at all. Well laid plans and so on...

So, as time is short today let's move on to the figures, shall we? First off is another basic Soviet rifle squad. Not really much to prattle on about. As most figures in this submission they're from the wonderful range of 20mm WW2 miniatures by AB Figures.

Next in line we have a 45mm AT gun. The gun itself as well as two of the crew are from Zvezda. Surprisingly nice hard plastic figures that mix well with AB. I would have preferred the wheels to be the later solid wheels instead of the earlier spoked wheels though. Would have saved me a lot of pain painting on those bloody spokes.


Then we have a Commissar which can and will double up as another regular Senior Leader in games of Chain of Command. He's accompanied by a few SMG gunners I had knocking about. Don't know what to use them for yet but I guess they might come in handy at some point... maybe.

Also on the menu tonight is a Soviet Forward Observation Officer, short FOO, together with his radio man. I very much doubt a Soviet FOO for a 80mm mortar battery had a wireless set but I think it looks cool, so who cares?

Then we have a PTRD AT rifle team. Not much use later in the war but should be good enough to take on enemy armoured cars and the like.


Also on offer is a Maxim machine gun. A sturdy little piece of kit and just the ticket when you need the Germans to keep their bloody heads down.


And finally we have the crew for a ZIS 3 AT gun but without the gun I'm afraid. The gun together with three T-34's is still sitting on my painting table half finished. But with me taking part in an online-gaming event today there's no chance of me actually finishing those in time.

So let's do the math and see what we got here:
26x standing/ kneeling 20mm figures less 3 points for not based = 113 points
7x prone 20mm figures = 14 points
2x Gun/ Crew served weapon 20mm = 16 points
Total = 143 points

This added to my 334 points from previous submissions gives me a total of 477 points. That brings me tantalizingly close to my overall target of 500 points. In other words just a single T-34 and the ZIS-3 short. 
Ah well, that's what you get for procrastinating half way through the challenge I guess.
Be that as it may, considering just 40 of the points above are Bonus points I did quite well I think.

Anyway, my thanks go to our beloved SnowLord for hosting this fabulous endeavour once again and for volunteering me for Minion duties on the best day of the week. Many thanks also go to Lady Sarah for taking up with all that nonsense for yet another year and to all my fellow challengers for simply being a great crowd.

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking Soviets. Your painting style and basing really help bring the minis to life. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work and a great way to end the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning work as usual Nick. Wow. I love the Challenge for getting these totally unthought of projects off the ground (this is coming from hard-earned experience).

    Thank you for your help minioning on Fridays and for your encouragement and enthusiasm for the other days. :) I hope to see you in the ranks for the next Challenge, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fantastic Nick and tones you achieved are just superb! Nice touch with the camouflage on the AT gun. I really am looking forward to seeing these soon.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing as always Nick! Your blending always makes me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are extremely pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are really lovely Nick, I always love your WW2 stuff. I believe that the Soviets used the ATR as a sniper weapon throughout the war so you could field it in that role.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome looking Soviets, lovely work and thanks for your monioning work on Friday's, keeping us all in line!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete