Saturday 20 March 2021

From MichaelD: The Last-Minute Brigade [228 pts]

After having spent the challenge painting 28mm landsknechts I felt I couldn't figure out another unique paint scheme per figure or careful striping without losing my mind. I think we've all gotten to the point where we needed a reboot to get some wind back in our sails (if that's not mixing too many metaphors).

Back in December around the first week of this Challenge I took a road trip (I live in NYC) out to Gettysburg, Antietam, and Harper's Ferry. I was going lock-down stir-crazy and wanted to give my wife a short vacation from my constant companionship. Anyhow it of course kindled a need to paint large ACW armies. And large armies mean small figures, so I purchased my first packs of 10mm. Thus, when I was trying to figure out how I was going to make my point target this challenge I primed them up and started painting. 

It was a great experience in that it really was able to churn out a lot in a relatively short time. Ultimately my goal is to get about a division's worth of each side and I'd say I've gotten through a brigade and a half here. I also made my first use of Contrast paints (for the flesh, the coats, and the wood) and of all my experiments with them, the seem (ironically) best suited to 10mm.

Anyhow, here are the Last Minute Brigade, aka The One-Pointers, aka Sherman's Dumpers. 





With 192 foot (including command and artillery crew), 15 mounted, and 3 guns, I'm at 228 pts here, which puts me at 608 for the Challenge. 8 points over my goal! 

8 comments:

  1. Lovely work, jealous you have been to the battlefields

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful work, very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice 'little' points bomb here Mike. Wow. Beautiful work. AND congratulations on hitting your points goal this year. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work - they don't look like 10mm! I've been putting off 10mm Franco-Prussian War for a good while, but now . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking little ACW types and well done on hitting your target!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete