Tuesday 10 March 2015

From AdamC - 97th New York Volunteers (122 points)


Its been a long road but I think I have the infantry for my Union force for Longstreet complete.   The 97th New York was chosen because of a remarkable coincidence.  The man who got me into war gaming was Robert Burr my college roommate.  It turns out one of his ancestors was surgeon  for this regiment (and he might have some other more distant relatives in the ranks as well) the coincidence is this regiment served next to the 12th Massachusetts Volunteers a regiment commanded by Fletcher Webster  the favored son of Marshfield MA were I grew up(he died at 2nd Manassas and is buried about half a mile from my parents home).  So I had to paint both regiments.


I am really happy with how the officer cam out with his gold buckle and rank flashes on this shoulders.


The flag is not the 97th's but one that looks very close the 5th New York if I can find an authentic 97th flag I will use it.


The men really look like they are hurrying to battle.  I did four men to a stand to give this unit a lot of weight.


There are 40 18mm Blue Moon figures here which should come out to 120 points (Curt you seem to have been giving 3 points per infantry figure at this scale, correct if necessary). So two piles have now been eliminated or greatly reduced the Napoleonic pile (is gone) and the ACW infantry is much reduced and might be completed in the time that remains.

15 comments:

  1. Great job Adam, I really like the Blue Moon figures. I purchased some 28mm London Victorian Civilian a few months back and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the sculpting and casting. Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Moon is probably my favorite miniatures manufacture its a great range in both 18mm and 28mm.

      Delete
  2. These look punchy, hope they do as well on the table as they look

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work on this regiment Adam :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific. I am sure they will serve you well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff. Good to have the family link, you were a great help to me with ideas such as this when I was painting my ACW forces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. Every town in my area has its GAR (Grand Army of the Republic a fraternal association of Union Civil War vets) statue and often an old GAR Hall the history of the Civil War is all around me (the AWI even more so).

      Delete
  6. Congrats on all the progress Adam. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great batch of Yanks! I'm slowly amassing a horde of ACW myself. All 28mm, so my project should last me a loooong time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the look of 28mm but I love the mass look that smaller scales give you.

      Delete
  8. Productive effort with these, good job!

    ReplyDelete