Tuesday 10 March 2015

From BurkhardS - Waffen SS (45 Points)

Ok, the end is neigh (regarding the 5th installment of the AHPC) so I felt it was time to get some points added to my tally and fast. So looking through my massive lead pile I found some SS troops that I will need for a demo at a show later this year. That is one thing I like about WWII (compared to Napoleonics or as I had to find out even SciFi minis)... they paint up fast even if wearing camo and even if they have lots of insignia on their uniforms.


Up first are some additions to my infantry. These are not the first SS I have painted, but I had a certain lack (and still do to be honest) with some types of minis. One are normal riflemen without the face late war G43´s or StG-44´s. While most of them are geared towards late war, those weapons still were an exception and not the norm, so here are two soldiers with K-98 carbines (one of them also carrying a magnetic mine). There is also an NCO beefing up the numbers of squad leaders. and last there is one machine gun assistant loaded up with lots of ammo to feed into a a Hitlers buzzsaw (already had that one painted but minus the loader).


I wanted a distinct late war look. So they are wearing Erbsenmuster camo clothing. Now to enhance the rag tag looks many German units had to take on in 1944 and 1945 they are wearing a mix of both mint and faded clothing as well as a mix of camo clothing and field grey clothing.



Another area where I have a distinct lack of minis are gun crews, so I painted up a gun team for a PaK or other light field piece.


Again they are wearing a mix of camo clothing in various states of fading and field grey uniforms. This team will eventually see more men in Eichenlaub smocks added to the team (not sure if that will happen during the challenge though). This will add yet more variety to their looks and enable me to field them as a large team.  Even though we are using 28mm we play the Battlegroup set of rules which work out really fine at larger scales as well. In Battlegroup a large crew for a gun gives you a chance for an extra shot per round, so that is a nice option to have.

All the minis in this post are from Victory Force and scaled at 28mm.

10 comments:

  1. Very nice work on the camo Burkhard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the mix of camouflage it gives them a feeling of been in the field to long about them. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work, the camo is top notch

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on the camo Burkhard :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great camo work. I always enjoy seeing your WWII figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all!

    Wow, curt was way faster posting these than I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the uniform mix, turned out very well! "No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That camo is absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you guys! I love painting camo and it is great to see if this carries over!

    ReplyDelete