Saturday 19 March 2016

From StefanK - Col. Steiner from 'The Eagle has landed' as Curtgeld (20 Points)

As usual I've been keeping one of the most important entries of the painting challenge for last:

The entry fee 'Curtgeld' miniature

Last but not least a couple of twins:
Both version of Col. Steiner side by side
It's Warlord Games's interpretation of Oberst Kurt Steiner which some of you might know from the classic war film 'The Eagle has landed'. In this movie Sir Michael Caine plays the German Fallschirmjäger colonel who gets the order to kidnap or kill Winston Churchill during a secret mission behind enemy lines. He and his fellow soldiers jump off over Britain and try to get hold of the Prime Minister while he's spending some time in the county.


Since a couple of fellows and me want to play this story as a Bolt Action scenario I wanted to have the figure for my own and since Curt asked to have a 'Risk Taker' miniature as entrance fee (aka. 'Curtgeld') I decided to paint a second one right away.


Even for me it's quite difficult to distinguish both figures but the bases are slightly different. Although I chose the same material I set the foliage slightly different to prove that's really two versions of the same miniatures. Anyway the figure itself is a very nice piece. Very good sculpting and a really crisp casting. Actually what I would expect from company that is on her way to claim a market-dominating role in our hobby.


As usual I employed Vallejo Model Colors as well as the Wargames Foundry skin sestet. Somehow I think the trousers and the cap should have been more bluish. Anyway I'm satisfied with my figure so I hope Curt is satisfied with his as well.

For those few who don't know the movie, here is the trailer: 

 

Steiner is a wonderful figure and a great example of a 'Risk Taker' - thank you so much Stefan. At first glance I hadn't realized there were two renditions of the same figure, as your work was so good in duplicating them - wow. His face and flesh tones are superb and I like that you've given him black leather gloves which I remember clearly from the negotiation scene in the movie. Very, very nice.
I hope you have a great play of the scenario and that Steiner makes it through to his target, poor fellow. Hey, perhaps you can use both figures as a ruse de guerre against the Allies! Feel free to delay shipment if you wish. ;)

14 comments:

  1. Splendid choice Stefan and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uuups! We have duplicated the model for Curt. same one I painted some months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh Benito! I just need a few more for a full squad. :)

      Delete
  3. Great figure, great movie, did you read the sequel "The Eagle has flown"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice Stefan! That movie is definitely a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent choice and painting Stefan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A double classic ..Now all you need is to find JR Ewing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the film, couldn't tell you how many times I've seen it. And a great piece of Curtgeld too. I'm sure Curt will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work Stefan. Still a favourite film and you've certainly captured the great man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous painting Stefan! Your Steiners certainly look the part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grand film, and a grand Curtgeld too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work! I loved that film and novel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thanks for kind feedback. I'm glad to hear that you - especially Curt - like my final entry.

    ReplyDelete