Saturday 19 March 2016

From ChristopherS - International Brigade Section (20 Points)



Adding a few more units to my long delayed Spanish Civil War project of 1936-39. This is some more International National Brigade reinforcements.




Painting the international Brigade is great fun as basically anything goes as they were issued with truly an eclectic assortment of equipment from all different nationalities some of which they brought with themselves from their respective countries or were issued by the Republican government. However, in spite of their militia look they were generally very highly motivated and some of the best troops the Republicans put in the field. As a painter they are great as you can just go through all the different khakis and browns to your hearts content and not really be wrong! I pretty much had a field day with Vallejo paints mixing up combo's and trying things out. Ahh the freedom to do as you please.:-) Hopefully folks will like them as much as I had fun experimenting with the colors. The figures themselves are of course from Empress in 28mm scale.




I have plans to do more and almost have enough for Operation Squad which is my starting point gaming wise before building it up from bigger games like Bolt Action or Chain of Command. I haven't decided what Nationalists I'll do for opposition, but I am leaning towards Carlists at the moment.




So 4 28mm figures should give me 20pts and on to one more entry after this and that will conclude my challenge.

Thanks for viewing!

Beautiful work Christopher. It's been a while since I've seen your brushwork on non-ancients - these are really wonderful.  I like the more sunkissed look to their flesh and you've done a lovely job on the colour blending. I also like the basing as it reinforces some of the arid terrain they fought in. Gorgeous. I think for your upcoming Nationalists you can't go wrong with Carlists. Their punchy colours, berets and jodhpurs are always popular favourites with our crowd. :)

25 comments:

  1. Great work on these antifascist forces! If only we'd had more of them...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, but I think more than a few countries today could use some of these chaps...

      Delete
    2. Thank you Evan. Personally gents I wouldn't have supported either side in that conflict as I'm neither a communist or a fascist being a true believer in western democracy which neither side really was. However, like most of us we wargame our periods out of interest rather then politics and this period is indeed fascinating and glad you like it.

      Christopher

      Delete
  2. Great figures! Well done Christopher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work Christopher :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought my empress VBCW figures looked nice. Then I saw these! I am so taken with the colours I am thinking of a repaint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Clint and your VBCW figures do look nice!

      Christopher

      Delete
  5. Historical forces where you can choose your own colours? Count me in! These look great and the freedom of painting sounds very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie and that's right you have relatively a lot of freedom in the uniforms albeit you still should stay with drabs, khakis and browns.

      Christopher

      Delete
  6. Wow, these are awesome Chris! Really love the way you made the colours pop. That's soooo tempting. Must... resist....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nick! Resistance is futile so you might as well give in and buy in.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  7. Wow. Gorgeous as always. You've really captured the ragtag band but with a uniformity too. And the groundwork is fab too - what I was aiming for rather less successfully than your good self!

    More please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Phyllion! I've enjoyed your SCW as well.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  8. they are wonderfully done.. well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are very nice, Chris! Beyond the adhoc gear, your color choice fits them really well! I like the detail on the rifles! ;)

    ReplyDelete