Saturday 19 March 2016

From Evan&GrantH - 28mm British Paratroopers (220 Points)

Hey Everyone! First off, my apologies for the extreme delay in sending in a submission. Unfortunately, life took a rather unexpected turn for the busy during the challenge and I have been rushing around handling school and work.

At any rate, here are 48 Canadians of the 1st Parachute Battalion that I have widdled away at over the last few months! Some still needs some more basing work, but due to the time crunch I figured it would be best to present what I have.


I looked for more specifics concerning their Denison smock and gear colouring this time and tried using darker shades for just about everything since it proved to be easier to work with. The faces still prove to be a challenge and any insight as to a good way to paint them would be greatly appreciated as well. Still, it took quite a while to finish the set but I am very pleased with the results!













I will have a gambler ready to present hopefully by tomorrow and if my WWI miniatures come in time I will wrap those up too! 

Grant

Ah, it's better late than never Grant - welcome aboard! These figures look very good and what a great mob of them. The Denison camo can be quite tricky, but I think you've done an admirable job with it. I quite like your 6 Pounder and support weapons as well. For the paras' berets, I suggest giving them a thin wash of dark purple. I say this as their berets historically were more burgundy than red.  

Realizing that you didn't get all your basework done I will have to deduct a few pips from your total, but at 220 that is still a great schwack of points to help out our cause. Great work and I look forward to seeing your next entry!

22 comments:

  1. That's a host of decent Paras alright.

    It looks to me like you started with a black undercoat? For faces I would then do a light leather base coat, which will warm things up . then a 50/50 mix of that with your flesh colour. Then highlight nose, chin, cheeks ears with your neat flesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!I will be sure to try that out when I paint next!

      Delete
  2. Cool set of figs. One of the things I've learnt during the challenges is basing. I'm no master at it like Curt but a little variety in simple bases really works. Tufts of grass are genius as is painting the base brown and the applying flock to part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just ended up running out of time and materials on the bases but I will certainly be much more prepared next time!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back Evan & Grant! :)

    Lovely work - Denison isn't easy to paint right, but you've got as close as any I've seen. As Curt suggests, the berets could do with a purple wash to darken them a bit - that's too bright a red at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! what kind of shade of purple wash would work best? I will probably go back after the challenge and make some changes eventually to see if I can make some improvements.

      Delete
  4. Grant, very nice job and improvements this year. Given all you've had on your plate you should be proud! (says your slightly biased uncle).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grant, very nice job and improvements this year. Given all you've had on your plate you should be proud! (says your slightly biased uncle).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Grant! Good to see you getting a submission in despite the non-Challenge challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad I was able to sneak in at the last minute!

      Delete
  7. Very nice and not a bad points bomb either. It may be a little late, but well worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was quite difficult to finish but I am glad that I (mostly) finished a post.

      Delete
  8. Good to see you sneaking in under the wire Grant, these look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely pulled very last minute rush to the finish here.

      Delete
  9. Welcome back! Grand work on the paras too! ;)

    I use a black undercoat then basecoat the flesh in a dark brown with no worries about even coverage allowing some black to ream8n in the shadows. I'll then use some reddish browns or a few shades of dark-tan flesh to paint in the smaller patches of brown. Always let the edges of each layer show. I then will 7se a wash to tie in all my layers then use light colors of flesh paint to highlight. ( nose, cheeks, knuckles..)
    Some others may have better methods as I am terrible at blending. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will be certain to mess around with some of the skin tone technique stuff!

      Delete