Saturday 19 March 2016

From IanW - Tidy Up Time (60 Points)

The final charge to the end of the Challenge for me means finishing off bits and bobs. I had this week off work so expected a fair bit of painting but in the end I managed just a brief flurry towards the end of the week.


This is a shameless attempt to collect all points possible and is worth 1.5 point as is not based so just the one point. My son was given the choice for three of us to build armies and a campaign. He choose the Seven Years War and we decided to allow us to swerve history a bit though Lee and myself are at least starting with actual armies painted to correct uniforms my son wished for French but uniforms of his choosing. This is a test figure I have painted for him to copy.


The figure is a 15mm French model from Lancashire Games and are perfect for my sons skill level and time he has spare to paint. I am expecting to meet these gents on many a battle field to come and who knows maybe you will be seeing a lot more from the both of us in next years challenge.


I started the challenge with 15mm Persians and it seems fitting that I should finish with more Persians but this time in 6mm. These I have stuck mostly to the same colour tunic for the whole unit.


I will try anything to put my opponents off, here a bit of subliminal messaging to make him hungry and distracted. 


The second unit has not on this silliness so expect them to die quickly every game. Two units of 18 figures and all the 6mm are Baccus.


Again very colourful but they will need to be as the mass of figures would be lost on the table when we get round to putting on a show with these and their mates.


Swapping periods we go to the English Civil War. I had promised some of these and I did expect to manage rather better than just two regiments of cavalry!


Here we have the Earl of Essex Lifeguard, these are for Lee as I am painting up both my Royalist army and his Parliament one. No tall order as we both bought two army packs!


Next up is Colonel John Dalbier's Horse. He was originally considered a Royalist and had commanded in the Kings ill fated armies pre Civil War but had landed up in debtors prison and was released on condition he took a commission in Parliaments army. His regiment was actually one of the larger ones in the early stages of the war. He is said to have commanded well overall but even so when the New Model Army was formed he was not offered a colonelcy within this army.


Again Baccus figures and another eighteen figures. That makes a total of 54 points for the 6mm part of this submission. This takes me over my extended target of 1000 points so I am rather pleased.

Lovely work Ian - even your 'dregs' are a treat for the eyes. ;) It's also nice to see you working on your ECW collection again - I especially like it as they provide great inspiration for my own 10mm efforts.
Actually you're a bit short on hitting your 1K goal but I see you have another entry in the hopper so hopefully that pops you over.

20 comments:

  1. Fine work Ian we didn't run side by side this year (like we did last year)but I've been impressed with your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, you kicked the door in and away you went. At least we had the same days posting

      Ian

      Delete
  2. They just keep getting smaller! Amazing work, the small scale Challengers have been playing a blinder this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rvan. Big Lee was a very welcome addition to the 6mm crew

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Love to see these 6mm figures Ian. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, the next ones just for you LOL

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Between you and Big Lee I am just on the verge of starting a 6mm ancient army they really have been inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news, Big Lee worked his magic on me and I am already painting the stuff LOL

      Ian

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, really happy with my points total

      Ian

      Delete
  6. Lovely work! Those Persians are a real eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you will not be surprised that I need to paint up a fair few more before I am done

      Ian

      Delete
  7. Nice mix of periods, Ian! The wee Persians are a nice colorful bunch and your parliament forces are gorgeous; yet I like the test figure of the French for your son! ;)
    The best part of the 7YW is you can have my ancestors in the mix! ;)

    ReplyDelete