Saturday 19 March 2016

AlanD - Last Submission - WOTR Archers and Curtgeld (70 Points)



Phew! With this final entry I'll hit my target of 1000 points. I was hoping to get more done, but it has been a heck of a school term so far. My biggest regret has been that I've been so busy I haven't been able to regularly comment on the wonderful entries you all have been submitting. As always, the Challenge has been a great pleasure to be a part of, and huge thanks to Curt and his minions for making it possible.

I managed to smash out 6 retinue archers this week for 30 points, adding to the retinue I'm putting together for Lion Rampant. Figures are from the Perrys, and they bear the retinue badge of the Yorkist Lord Scrope of Bolton. The bases are meant to have a light dusting of snow or frost, although Curt the Snowlord has shattered my confidence by thinking they are flowers. I'm Australian right? What would I know? :)

 
 

And finally, the Curtgeld. What better gamblers and risk takers to depict than Cortes and Moctezuma? Cortes' whole life was an extraordinary series of gambles, from the time he left Cuba on an all-or-nothing attempt to make his fortune, to his decision to arrest Moctezuma and his final belief that against all the odds he could capture Tenochtitlan and destroy the Aztec Empire. Moctezuma also rolled the dice, but lost. Perhaps he thought he could make use of these pale-faced strangers who had arrived in his lands from who knew where. Perhaps he was just fascinated by them. For whatever reason, he failed to see their threat, and instead allowed Cortes to gamble and win everything.



Figures are from Battlefront, and were available through Wargames Illustrated. I had these lying around for ages, but finally found them last Monday in the attic.



And with that, may you always roll high, unless you are playing against me. Dux out.





A great final entry Dux! Your Bolton archers are as excellent as your first group of men-at-arms. Nonetheless, your snow still looks like flowers to me, but I would not wish upon anyone the deep, dire knowledge of snow and ice that we Canadians possess. So how 'bout we meet halfway and call them Snowbells, eh? :)

I have to admit that when I clicked to open this entry I had my head turned, with one eye clenched shut, thinking it would be another Bob Dylan figure. ;P 

This is a brilliant vignette Alan. Cortez and Moctezuma are brilliant examples of 'Risk Takers'. As you say, the stakes were huge and one won big while the other was destroyed utterly. I really like how you painted the jaguar hide cape.
Thank you very much Dux! Until next year then.

 

15 comments:

  1. Nice submission mate and congrats of the 1k tally

    And I never roll high against you - but my son does :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Vignette. And the WOTR archers are fabulous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think the snow looks great, a very heavy frost

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smashing vignette, really good idea. The purple trews are the business on the archers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Alan especially the Curtgeld!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice final entry Alan, and who knows maybe this year we might cross paths and your dice will get the chance to prove themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff - they look the Biz - and there is enough snow on those bases to stop the public transport system in the UK in its tracks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, when I was 16 I visited my Dad in Hampshire for Xmas. It was '78 (the winter of discontent?) and they had the worst snowstorm in 20 years - I nearly died laughing.

      Delete
    2. That would be even worse ... That is down where the southern softies are!

      Delete
  8. Nice wind up Alan. I like the WoR figures, and great choice on the Curtgeld.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great entry, the Curtgeld vignette is absolutely stunning and will undoubtly look great in Curt's showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those archers are very well done, Dux! However your Curtgeld of Montezuma and Cortez is very sharp! I really like the colors you used on Montezuma and that cloak is really well done÷ ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like that Cortez-Moctezuma dialogue - who knows for certain what each one saw in thee other? Great work, Dux!

    ReplyDelete