Friday 19 March 2021

From SimonG: One Final HYW Submission -- Two More Men At Arms Stands (60 points)

Having met my points target for this first time around the annual challenge (largely down to the Chambers of Challenge) I have completely failed to actually finish the two projects I was aiming for. My 10mm Cold War project is half done with the British yet to be started, and I am still five elements short of my HYW 28mm project that has been on the go for the last fifteen months -- still I can at least contribute two more stands of English men at arms -- only three more of these to go!



These two stands represent Sir Robert Willoughby who had a very successful career in the HYW before and after the Joan of Arc period I am focusing on. The second is Sir Nicholas Burdett who died at the battle of Pontoise. I actually messed up with Burdett's banner and arms -- the birds should be red (metal on metal would never be correct!) -- in printing them I obviously intended to fill in the white with red but forgot, this is going to be pretty darn awkward now the figures are on the stand so I may need to unattach him and fix this -- oops! I can at least fix the banner 😜







Anyway the usual mix of Perry plastics and metals with one 1st Corps figure on the Burdett stand. Im getting more comfortable with the heraldry as I do more -- a rough approximation in colours and then super fine liner pen to sketch out the details works pretty well -- including on the heraldic lion on red on the figure on the left of the Burdett stand (a generic knight, not anyone in particular).








It's been great fun being part of this years activities and I'm looking forward to next Winter already -- should be able to start a couple of new project by then and I'm already planning that out. Great thanks to Curt and all of the helpers and minions who make this all go off so well -- so with a final 60 points (12 28mm figures) on my total I wish you all well and hope to see you all again in nine months time!

15 comments:

  1. Very nice Simon! Some cracking heraldry! As you will see from my last post, I have struggled to paint even a basic geometric shield pattern, let alone a HYW knightly device! Tbh, I think you can get away with just fixing the banner. On the table top no one will know ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I will know 😃 and making such a heraldic no no as putting metal on metal, I realised it was wrong as I was painting but didn’t bother going back to my references to check! Anyway luckily I’ve examined things closely and I think I left access all round, so careful application of a thinned out red should work fine. Anyway practice a good brush and a steady hand and it’s not so bad!

      Delete
    2. Ah, that is the worst of feelings. And I know what you mean. Anyway, we should always be thankful of excuses to practice brush control! :D

      Delete
  2. Those look great, excellent heraldry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. You certainly get the chance to work on heraldry with a HYW project

      Delete
  3. Very well done Simon! It was nice to have you on board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb work Simon. I really enjoyed following your progress this year. Here's to the next edition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt -- everything was really well organised and cant wait until next year!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, really appreciate all your kind comments over the past few months

      Delete
  6. Splendid pair of HYW stands! Lovely heraldry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, really appreciate all the great feedback you’ve given me!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful figures and the heraldry is cracking stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee. I “fixed” the white to red this morning, as long as you don’t look too closely 😉

      Delete