Sunday 20 March 2022

From David V - 6mm Ogre Miniatures tanks and artillery (Cybertron) (42 points)

Additions to my growing forces for Ogre Miniatures, the 6mm scale miniatures wargame based upon Steve Jackson's Games' 45-year-old board game.

"Ajax" Missile Tanks (MSL) are another popular Paneuropean armour unit. Their missiles hit hard and at a longer range than their fellow Paneuropean G.E.V.s and Heavy Tanks. However, the Missile Tank's amour is lackluster, and they are slow. This entry includes a couple of platoons of Ajax's. 


The "Arquebus" Howitzer (HWZ) is the heaviest hitter in the Paneuropean arsenal, excepting only their own Ogres and actual nuclear cruise missiles. Long ranged, but immobile, there was a time when Ogre players tried to devise the perfect "4-Howitzer Defense". A combined arms force of various tanks, G.E.V.'s, and infantry is probably a better bet. I have included a battery of 4 artillery pieces.


The Paneuropean "Thor" Superheavy Tank (SHVY) is almost like a miniature Ogre. Dual main armament that can be combined or fired separately, and some point defense anti-personnel batteries give it a lot of firepower. However, it's human crew is still subject to disablement with a non-fatal hit. I painted up a platoon of two of these beasts.



In the basic game of Ogre, the objective of the Ogre player is to destroy the Paneuropean Command Post (CP). To the Combine, destroying the centralized Command, Control, and Communication at such a brigade or divisional level is worth the loss of an Ogre. What the Ogres think of that is anyone's guess.  


After assembly, I primed all the units with GW Chaos Black, and laid in flat white zenithal highlighting with an airbrush. I used a couple of different tones for the base blue, glazing with washes of GW Drakenhoff Nightshade or Indigo oil paint. I then laid in highlights and details with oil paints, and did some light weathering with oils and powders. 

The relative size of the various units is shown against a Galahad G.E.V. 


(9 x 2) points of 6mm or 1:300 scale amour units (6 MSL, 2 SHVY, and 1 CP), plus 4 points for the 4-HWZ battery, makes for 22 points. Add 20 points for Cybertron (Robot(s). In the basic game of Ogre, all the powered armour infantry, various tanks, and artillery that the Paneuropean player fields are opposed to a single Combine  robotic supertank. And there is a more than even chance that the Ogre will win.


###

Thanks again to Curt, Sarah, and all the Minions for another great Challenge. I fell short of my rather modest goal, mostly due to work commitment. But, I was able to paint up a couple of my favourite Star Wars characters, and I finally finished a bunch of Ogre miniatures that I had assembled back in 2019!

______________________________________

A great final entry for this year's Challenge, Dave. I really enjoyed following your Ogre posts as they provided for a wonderful stroll down memory lane (I remember marvelling over the Arquebus Howitzers as a teen, loving the models and trying to puzzle out the best Ogre defence with them). It was wonderful to have you with us again this year, and I hope that you can join us for the next edition.

- Curt

9 comments:

  1. I’ve really enjoyed this Ogre project. Lots of old school futuristic armour and nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great series of entries, lovely paint jobs, I now regret giving away the Ogre stuff that I had. Just excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Dave! I like the blue on the tanks and the and the gun emplacement look grand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really enjoyed your Ogre submissions this year Dave; such a unique subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fitting finish for you Challenge, Dave! More wonderful Ogre stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finish on your ogre miniatures, been fun watching you build your forces!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete