Sunday 20 March 2022

From JamieM - Kings of War units (195 points)

My final post and it was touch and go if I’d get these done! As is traditional, I started too many things at the same time and this jeopardised getting any of them done in time….

First up is an elf mage. Originally from the old Warhammer starter set “Island of Blood” I seem to have about five of these, so I thought I would get one painted for my Kings of War Elf army.

As you can see, he’s floating on magical….. errr….. wind?

He cuts quite the dash in his snazzy cloak - I can just see him now, floating across the battlefield uttering magical phrases such as “Izzy, Whizzy, Let’s get busy!”

Next up, a gigantic monster. I’ll give myself willpower points for sticking with Kings of War….. but he’s actually for a different army (twilight kin = Dark elves), so I have to deduct a few willpower points for not sticking to getting an army done….

Originally a Games Workshop Kharibdyss (don’t ask), he’s going to be a Cronebound Shadowhulk for the Twilight Kin (who are nothing to do with Team Jacob)

Lovely model to work on and contrast paints did most of the heavy lifting.

He’s a bit of a big boy, as you can see, but he does fit nicely on his kings of war base, which will be helpful when I get to play.

Sticking with the twilight kin, here are some Dark Elf Impalers. Not on multi bases, but I have bases for them to slot into which are the right size.

They’re supposed to be two handed weapon warriors, so I used games workshop Dark Elves and just extended the handles of the swords as they were already ridiculously long….. as an old WFB player, I automatically add standards and musicians to every unit I can. They have no rules in Kings of War and so just make transporting the units harder, but I like the look of them, so in they go.

Flip-flopping back to Elves again, here I have some Hunters of the Wild.

They’re games workshop dryads with faces changed for skulls to make them a little spookier. Perhaps they’re the souls of Elves buried in the forest risen to protect their land?

My multi-basing experiment continues and I’m not overly happy with how the dry brushing went, but they are done and represent another step closer to my army being ready to use.

Two units, mostly because they’re quick to paint and so get me ready quickly!

And finally, a trip on Saran’s star yacht beckons with these two figures.

Standing up is “Motherboard” a character for 7TV. She’s a crooked dice sculpt and isn’t the official miniature for motherboard, but I already owned this figure, so getting her off the lead pile was a bonus.


The other figure is a hassle free miniature figure who I converted by replacing the head (which I’d used years ago for something else…..) and adding a ray gun to her belt so I can use her in stargrave.

Final scores then for 31 x 28mm figures (1+12+8+8+2) and one 28mm vehicle(?) at 15 I think. Add on 20 for the star yacht trip and I think that gives me 190 to finish? (Nope. It's 195, but you were close! -ed)

Thanks to Curt, and to Greg for being my Wednesday minion, and also to all those who took the time to comment on posts as it’s been another great challenge that has helped my Leadpile out no end!

_____________________________

What a wonderful potpurri of figures, Jamie! The turquoise, red and yellow you used for that Elf mage is an excellent combination (making notes for future reference). The Kharibdyss is completely bonkers, but wonderfully rendered by your skilful brush. I also fully endorse your fallback position on having a banner and musicians in your fantasy units (well, any units frankly), so well done on accepting the inconvenience of storage and transport. Finally, I really like the dryads on the multibase - I think these bases have such a cool, vignette quality to them and this one is no exception. Great work Jamie!  Thank you for participating and I hope we can link up soon for a Zoom game and a chat.

- Curt




9 comments:

  1. Some exceptional figures here Jamie - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work all round, Jamie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Jamie! You've almost got me sold on "Kings of War", but I smiled when I saw the Twilight Kin were awaiting sabot bases :)

    That monster looks fr*ckin' awesome. Likely a real challenge to feed that one "safely"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some damn fine painting Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff and good repurposing of WFB to KoW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that flat, dark grey armour on the Dark Elves; looks great on it's own but works particularly well with the purple robes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice Warhammer work! I think the musician and banner bearer are mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Jamie! I'm happy you managed to finish these for our pleasure! The skullfaced dryads are a clever idea, well done!

    ReplyDelete