Sunday 20 March 2022

From Millsy: The Last Post - More Erin Celtic Myth (56 points)

G'day All!

This is it for me for Challenge XII and what a wild ride it's been! I'd hoped to crack the 2K this year but work and a bumped elbow scuppered that plan. Not to worry, I still surpassed my 1.5K total and this post may sneak me into the top 10 again. Miles will no doubt provide a more detailed statistical analysis vs. the wider Challenge cohort.

These are more Alternative Armies Erin Celtic Myth miniatures, spread across various factions but focusing on larger demigod types topped up with a bunch of starkers warriors. As a mate from the fire brigade once informed me "A bit of nudework never hurt anybody!". The circumstances of that conversation remain privileged info before anyone asks.

They're creepy and they're cooky...

Cu Chuliann is depicted in "battle state warp spasm" according to the website. Make of that what you will. My first impression was someone snuck a few too many disco biscuits and got their gurn on. I mean Cu Chuliann, not the individual who did the write up but on reflection the latter may be equally valid.

Conand of the Horse's Head and Cu Chuliann


Morc of Chicol and The Dagdha (trans. "Dad dancer". OK not really)

Overall I'm finding myself less inclined to keep buying from Alternative Armies. Their product is chockers with character but they continue to pack poorly despite my gentle feedback, resulting in more bent or broken product on arrival of my most recent order. The molds are not the best either meaning many casts are covered in mold lines many of which are impossible to fully  remove. [sigh]

A pair of Milesian warriors (front), a lone Sidhe warrior
and a pair of wolfhounds

Final points for my tally:
  • 5 x 28mm = 25points
  • 3 x 40mm = 21points
  • 1 x 54mm = 10 points
Total = 56 points

+1 Skullz.

All that remains is to sign off with a few thankyous once again...

To Curt and Sarah, your generosity and time investment in running the Challenge never ceases to amaze, and in times like these it's more relevant than ever, bringing people from across the globe together in fun and camaraderie.

To my minion charges, thanks for your honesty, creativity and willingness to put up with my weird sense of humour. I've enjoyed every one of our interactions and I hope you felt looked after. Well done to each and every one of you!

Lastly, to everyone else, thanks for sharing your amazing creations and for providing such wonderful feedback on my own humble efforts.


Till next year, stay safe and well and keep slaying the grey!

Cheers,
Millsy


Like a skilful exotic dancer, Millsy, you draw us along for three months before finishing with your practiced nudework. Sorry to hear of your disappointment with AA. I like the bizarre proportions of these demigods, which match the bizarre legends. I particularly like the sitting wolfhound- we all recognize that mood. Your painting and basing remains exquisite. It has been a pleasure to minion with you.

Barks

8 comments:

  1. Well this lot certainly tested out your palette of flesh tones Millsy! Love the over the top character of these sculpts but I am disappointed to hear of the issues that you’ve had with AA. Great work on these over the top Celtic legends and gods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are wild looking figures! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like these. They are so wonderfully loony and odd, which I find very appealing. The 'Dad Dancer' comment mad me laugh aloud and I love the wolfhounds. Brilliant work Millsy. Now, go enjoy the afterglow of your epic minionship and perhaps reminisce on nudework gone by (I'm certainly not asking)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wacky and fun way to finish the Challenge! I’m sorry to hear about the issues you have with the company but, in spite of that, you’ve created amazing pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever the issues may have been, your painting is exceptional as ever! See you next year Millsy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some strange but wonderfully painted minis Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strange minis, but well painted! Sorry to hear you had troubles with them.

    ReplyDelete