Sunday 20 March 2022

From GrantH - A final Post of WW2 Canadians! (120 points)

 Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing well. For my final post of the challenge I have twenty-four 28mm World War 2 Canadians from my assault pioneers project for a total of 120 points. These troops are outfitted in a mix of battle dress and winter equipment to represent some cold weather operations in North-Western Europe. I figure the mix of Green BDUs along with heavier jerkins and greatcoats will give the force a little extra flair compared to the average Commonwealth force. They are mainly equipped with trusty Enfield rifles and have some variation between the Mk.II and Mk.III helmets (Perhaps to illustrate which soldiers were D-Day Veterans as many replacement troops were issued older helmets). Once I have finished their support Wasp IICs and Flamethrowers I believe they will be quite formidable force on the tabletop! However, that is a post-challenge mission along with construction of a suitable force of Germans to challenge them.


The full 24.
NCOs have been given Webley Revolvers to distinguish them on the battlefield.

I used a mix of Plastic and Metal miniatures from Warlord games to vary the figures as much as possible. The only ones identical sculpts are the troops bundled up in winter gear as they came from a metal set. 




Personally, I love having my armies in Greatcoats and winter gear as they can vary an army significantly if you picture the force as something for late winter or autumn. However, I have yet to see very many mid/late WW2 sculpts for Commonwealth forces that cover the winter aesthetic. Warlord and Empress Minis do some, though I am always open for suggestions if people know where to find others!


As always, thank you to Curt and the Minions for organizing and running the Painting Challenge! It is always fun to see what people are working on and to gain fresh inspiration for new projects. I am always thoroughly impressed with what people present from year to year and I hope people continue to stay safe amid the world's craziness and keep painting!

____________________________

Wonderful brushwork Grant! These look very fine and as you say, will serve nicely for the operations in the Scheldt estuary. I particularly like the fellows in the greatcoats and winter vests as they seem very apropos for that theatre of operations. 

Thank you for joining us again, Grant. I hope that for the next Challenge you treat us to some vehicles for this project for us to admire. 

- Curt

10 comments:

  1. Fine looking group of Canadians, Grant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Grant. I like the winter equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely job, Grant! Just like individual size, different troops have different levels of snivel gear worn in the field. I like the mixture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, Grant! Very nice looking force!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grant:
    This entry gets the Canadian Wargamer Podcast seal of approval. Between you and Benito you've treated us to some great looking Fighting Canucks and you even gave them the 3 Div patch, well done. I quite enjoyed your entries this Challenge and look forward to your future work.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid looking WW2 Canadians, lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete