Sunday 20 March 2022

From RossM: 15mm Hoplites and 10mm AFV (106 points)

Another Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge is ending soon and here are my last entries. 

Before the pictures I'd like to thank Curt and all the minions for making this possible. It is a great idea to bring people together through their passion for painting "wee men" - and ladies of course. Hat off to you all and many, many thanks for doing this over the last twelve years.

Whilst this year, I didn't achieve as much as I would have liked too I did realise that people say one thing at a time for a reason: it lets you finish things off! I have something like 400 points of primed, partially painted figures and vehicles that I just didn't have the time to complete. Plenty to keep me going as spring starts to blossom and the light returns to northern hemisphere. 

Now onto the figures and the first set are of a very old Hoplite army that was gifted to me just before the end of 2021. The figures are mostly from minifigs and are chunky and poorly sculpted in comparison to many of their modern counterparts. However, they take paint, will create either an allied force in ADLG or a DBA army with several different options due to the range of figures for this army. 


The first rank consists of two stands of light infantry archers (Ps) and two of archers (3Bw). 


Behind the first rank there are two stand of slingers and javelinmen (Ps) which are better seen in the pic below. 

The final rank holds a stand of auxiliaries (3Ax), four stands of hoplites (4Sp), one heavy and one light cavalry. 


There are another six stands of hoplites, four of peltasts and two light cavalry still to be completed for this army. 


Next,  the start of a small force for the Afrika Korp to be used in Big Chain of Command in 10mm.


The vehicles are digital printed and include a Pz MkIII J and three SdKfz 251/1 in glorious 10mm. 


This is a new scale for myself and involved working out a way to paint the vehicles that is catches the eye and reflects the style of painting used on the vehicles themselves. You can see how I did this here

The infantry and other vehicles for this are a part of the almost finished figures mentioned above. 

In terms of points, this takes the scores on the doors to:

37 x 15mm infantry - 74 points

5 x 15mm cavalry - 20 points

4 x 10mm vehicles - 12 points

For a subtotal of 106 and final total of 253 which just passes my revised Challenge score.  (1% over my revised Challenge Total and 34% of my original 750 points total)

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing the remaining posts for this year and starting to plan for AHPC XIII!

Cheers, Ross

__________________________________________

What a wonderful mix of figures from two eras. While I always like seeing hoplites, I have to say I particularly like those 10mm DAK vehicles for Big Chain of Command. I'll be checking out your link for sure. Well done Ross! I know what you say about best laid plans, but I think you did a great job with what you got completed.  Just think, you now have a few hundred point ready to go for Challenge XIII ! :)

- Curt


13 comments:

  1. Lovely to see the old Minifigs geeks, I have the same figures in 28mm in my basement. Great work on the 10mm AFVs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done entry to take you over the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From bronze age to iron horses! Lovely brushwork on the wee of the wee-men, Ross! For 10mm the vics are really nice and look more battle made than factory fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good looking hoplites and vehicles, Ross! It is a good idea to have couple of projects going on at the same time, to have always something to do, but there should not be too much, or nothing gets done. See you next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a couple of projects however, I ended up with 8 or 9 and didn't start to focus on a smaller number until the last few weeks.

      Regards, Ross

      Delete
  6. Hi Ross:
    I've enjoyed getting to know you and your work in this year's Challenge. Thanks for this last post, very strong entry. I hope to get my first ADLG army done this summer, thanks for the incentive, and the printed AK vehicles look great.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MikeP, glad you found my posts interesting and happy to see they are motivating you.

      Cheers,
      Ross

      Delete
  7. Nice looking hopolites and great looking tiny armour!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete