Friday 23 January 2015

From SebG - The Ancients are Coming (80 Points)

Finally, my first proper entry in this Challenge. I've been slowly but surely painting and I finally show you some stuff. They're all 15mm based for Art de la Guerre.

First, some Eastern bowmen from Essex I received at Christmas. They are fairly generic so that I can use them in many different armies.



Next, one unit of Greek cavalry. Once again, lots of potential uses. You'll notice one of the horse lost a bit of paint. Sadly, when I took them to take a picture, they fell on the floor. No real damage apart from that. Damn! First casualty!




And finally some Xyston hoplites. I had started them in November in a red palette, since I wanted to create a guard unit. But I wasn't convinced. Then I remembered something Tamsin had said about a dolphin shield I had made previously. I had my idea! These guards would be considered as the "black guard" devoted to a tyrant who's real objective might be really sinister. Therefore, I started all over again: Cleaned up, primed in black this time, and I opted for Lovecraftian designs on each one of them, apart from the dolphins, but then, if you know your Lovecraft mythos ;) Anyway, all the shields have been handpainted, as carefully as possible.





So, all in all, I guess I get something like 68 points, plus maybe some extras for the shields?


From Curt:

Seb! I know you submitted an entry to the 'Victoria' theme but it's great to have you with us on the main page. 

The archers and cavalry (owch!) are great but I admit I had to give a double-take with these hoplites with their hand-painted shields. They look like 28s!!  Wow, amazing stuff Seb! This year we've been treated with several entries of people doing fantastic freehand work and this is another fine example. Bonus points duly awarded!


15 comments:

  1. What Curt said. Those shields are really great. Welcome to the show

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on the Shields and a great idea for the images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Seb - love the Lovecraftian freehand shield designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man I thought they were decals!!!!

    Excellent work Seb

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work on the shields is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those hoplites are amazing! My fav of the whole bunch, and the rest aren't too shabby at all either! I truely do feel your painon the dropped mini, but they seem to have survived it well enough! Perhaps lady luck will smile on them in their first engagement! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only is the free-handing on the shields something to behold, the very idea of a Lovecraftian hoplite army is really just fantastic. I hope you do some more work in that direction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love those shields. I need to stop fooling around and try some real shield painting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bloody Hell ( that's the Yorkshireman in me!) hand painted shields at 15mm. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Top notch work there. I like the shields colours it really unifies them all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I like the evil dolphin army.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great stuff, welcome the main challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing job Seb, love the freehand shields. I must admit to having a soft spot for Essex 15mm ancients.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salut Seb,

    chapeau bas! très beau boulot, les boucliers sont superbes!
    les éclaircissements sont excellents.

    take care my friend.

    Gilles

    ReplyDelete