Tuesday 19 February 2019

From PeterA - Getting Back In The Saddle with some WW2 Germans (76 Points)

Well the last couple of weeks have largely been a write-off due to illness - some horrible combination of flu/chest infection/consumption/the plague has meant even thinking about painting sent me off on a coughing fit, and it has only been this weekend that I have managed to summon up the energy to pick up the brushes (obviously not made of the same stern stuff as Tamsin!).

Anyway, I thought it was time to notch up another squirrel point, so decided to make a start on some WW2 Germans that have been languishing deep in the lead pile. They are AB Figures - beautiful sculpts but to be honest I did not think I could do them justice. In addition, wanting to have a go at various patterns of SS camo was even more intimidating, so they have sat untouched for a long time. However, an article in a Too Fat Lardies Special not only gave some fairly easy to follow guidance, but it was illustrated with pictures of AB Figures, so I thought I'd give it a go; this is the Painting Challenge after all!

This first squad is in a mixture of Oak Leaf Autumn and Oakleaf Spring pattern and I decided to do the bases with autumn clump foliage to distinguish them from ordinary Wehrmacht figures, who will be based with a more summery flock/clump foliage blend, like on the MG team below. The figures themselves are actually from the Wehrmacht range, but I was inspired by an old post on The Guild forum (now sadly defunct) which painted Wehrmacht as SS. As AB only do two squad packs of SS, this gives me a lot more variety.

First up are the 5-man rifle team. These will be for gaming Operation Market-Garden, and reading the excellent 'It Never Snows In September' there is a mention of SS troops arming themselves with Sten guns, so the figure on the left is carrying a captured British SMG (the figure is by Battlefield/Blitz).


Next we have a three-man MG42 team.


For a change of pace I also did a PAK 40 - AB crew and a Grubby/Britannia gun. 




Finally, some Wehrmacht fire support in the shape of a tripod mounted MG 42, done largely to give me from a break painting little camo dots! I am doing a Wehrmacht section to accompany them and that might get finished for later today.



So one Squirrel point and 48 points (I think - not sure if you count the figures on top of the 16 points for the guns, so I didn't) for the Germans.




Sorry to hear you've been ill, nothing kills productivity like manflu! Seriously though, its hard to motivate yourself when all you want to do it crawl under a blanket and sleep it off. This is a great bunch of figures to get back in the groove. For Crew served weapons the crew are scored as well as the gun so you've sold yourself a bit short on the points. 15 infantry and two guns will earn you a tidy 76 points. 
Lee

19 comments:

  1. That man flu is a fecking bastard, good work all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure which is harder, beating the man-flu or painting SS camo. You have achieved both, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stu - they both had their moments! I'll be seeing dots in front of my eyes for a few days I think!

      Delete
  3. Nice work Peter, and good work on fighting off the man-flu. I'm in a similar boat myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter and get well soon - it is a bugger!

      Delete
  4. Nice looking bunch of WW2 Germans! Great looking camo!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad too see you back and with such great Germans at that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done for tackling that camo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you back from the plague cart. Great work on these figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt - I still have my bell just in case!

      Delete
  8. Excellent work! Well done on all that SS camo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are recovering, Peter! Still the camouflage and basing are both very nice. I'm a big fan of the mixed uniforms, never been exposed to a supply chain that ever worked remotely well! ;)

    ReplyDelete