Friday 27 December 2019

From LeeH - Frozen Tower for Frostgrave - 10 points

I wasn't expecting to post this last-minute entry for the first week of the challenge but once I got started I had to finish it - the bug just took me. So I'm planning on playing a lot of Frostgrave later this year and I need quite a bit of terrain to replicate the frozen city. The Young Padawan is still playing 6mm ancients games with me but in return, I have agreed to her request for some fantasy wargaming. I already had a lot of old D&D figures that I have been able to repurpose for Frostgrave but what I haven't got is much in the way of terrain. So one of my projects for this Challenge is to scratch build and paint as many buildings as I can. And first to be completed is this ruined tower. 



I may make another, larger, tower later on but this was my first attempt at using bluefoam for model building. My recently completed Operations Room means that for the first time in decades I have a space dedicated to my hobby and that means I can work on larger projects that take weeks not hours to complete...an important consideration back when I had to 'borrow' the dining room table for model terrain construction. My Operations room is now in a right mess, but it's my mess and I love it! 



This tower is built around a central core...the versatile Pringles Tin. I made the choice from the beginning not to build the tower from individual bricks but rather from concentric 'pineapple rings' of foam that would fit around the core and be glued and shaped one course at a time. I'm not convinced I made life any easier for myself as the rings invariably came out different sizes and I had to make several adjustments as I worked my way upwards. None the less I'm pretty happy with this first foray into the world of foam model making and I'm already working on more complex stuff for later in the Challenge. 


The tower stands about 6" tall and has a diameter of 4" so not quite a full cube of terrain (I'll leave the determination of points to the umpires mercy!). I built in a partially collapsed spiral stairway so that characters in the game can use the tower for some elevation, maybe gaining an advantage over the other side, or getting a clearer view of the path ahead. 

So with that icy side quest completed its time for me to get working on my first venture onto Challenge Island.

From Minion DaveD, 
Aah now that's nice to see , so back to schoolboy maths and the volume of your cylinders ( πr² x h) 75 cubic inches , a standard terrain cube is 216 cubic inches.. So lets call that a base 7 ,but for the extra steps and the fact its a new bit modelling skill  lets call it 10!

there are various items you can get yo help with working with foam - and it gets addictive Lee - looking forward to seeing what else you have for us

12 comments:

  1. Nice looking tower and great to see DaveD using some classical geometry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job mate, looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking bit of scratch building!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tower is fab, like what you did here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can’t wait to see your future builds, as your first one is excellent. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very cold looking tower,Lee! I like the feel it gives and the stair is a sweet spot for a bowman. Definitely an awesome side project for your daughter! I just purchased the basic D&D for my son, the gaming bug finally bit him! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an absolutely beautiful ruin. Top marks!

    What paints did you use for the stonework?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Lee - looking forward to watching the terrain collection grow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always good to have a ruined tower! Nice snow as well.

    ReplyDelete