Friday 27 December 2019

From SimonM: "Lucid Eye Publications" Grove's Shrubs (45 Points)

These eight 23mm tall "cartoon scale white metal figures" of Grove’s Shrubs are produced by “Lucid Eye Publications” and can be brought from the company's "Toon Realms" range. Sculpted by Trish Carden to be the Shrub Henchmen for Yewan the Treeman, I actually thought these miniatures would make some excellent-looking Ents for my ongoing 'Lord Of The Toons' project using the "Dragon Rampant" rule-set by "Osprey Games".


Initially primed with a double layer of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, the talking trees were 'immersed' in "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade and later dry-brushed using (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, as well as (the somewhat lighter) "Vallejo" Heavy Brown. I then 'picked out' their leafy beards using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Green and "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green.

Finally, the ancient shepherds of Fangorn Forest had their eyes 'dotted' using a tiny spot of "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre" and the fungi living on their backs treated to a lick of "Vallejo" Heavy Red. These oyster-shaped toadstools were subsequently shaded using a splash of "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson, before each ensemble was tidied up, courtesy of either some additional “Vallejo” Heavy Sienna, Heavy Brown and/or dash of “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade.


With two units of Lesser Warbeasts completed, I also turned my attention to one of a handful of free miniatures “Lucid Eye Publications” have kindly sent me as part of my recent orders with their company. These figures all consist of the self-same wizard sat atop a dice whilst smoking a pipe, and whilst not quite as cartoonish in style as the manufacturer’s other “Toon Realms” sculpts, they certainly seem to still fit the genre quite nicely. 

As a result I’ve decided to utilise the models as statues/objective markers for my games of “Dragon Rampant”, and paint them so as to represent a variety of materials. To begin with, I thought I’d prime the wizard with some "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and subsequently treat him to a double coat of Brass. The figurine was then heavily washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, and dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Brass.


To give the idol some ‘weathering’ I applied plenty of "Citadel" Nihilakh Oxide over the miniature, and later ‘blended’ this in with the rest of the colour scheme by giving it a second dry-brush of "Vallejo" Brass. Lastly, I pigmented the 28mm “Games Workshop” circular base beneath the wizard using “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey, as well as a mixture of “Citadel” Nuln Oil, Biel-Tan Green and Agrax Earthshade, before dry-brushing the ‘stone plinth’ with more “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey.

___________________________________


Great work on the shepherd shrubs(?), Simon, but I have to say I'm really taken by that wizard-smoking-on-a-die, especially with how you did the verdigris with the gold. It really makes a terrific looking marker. I have a somewhat similar game marker that I need to paint and I think I may pilfer your recipe for it. Thanks and Well Done!

-Curt


25 comments:

  1. Nice shrub-folk. The idol is a fun looking piece and very fitting as a gaming objective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. I hope you're feeling better now?

      Delete
  3. Lovely verdi gris and the walking shrubs are great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. I too am a big fan of the "Toon Realms" shrubs :-)

      Delete
  4. Tree mendous work Blax! Love the wizard, he’s got that 70s Dragon magazine vibe to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Peter!! Indeed, the Wizard does doesn't he :-)

      Delete
  5. Those shrubs are reminiscent of the old GW Dryads. But, I particularly like what you did with the Wizard on a Dice statue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An education every time Blax

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work! I always look forward to seeing what new and interesting figures you have painted up each time you post in these challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I do like to mix my genres and minis about so hopefully I'll be posting up a few surprises during the Challenge.

      Delete
  8. The treemen are very nice, Simon! I really like the weathered wizard statues though are really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David. I've a few more "Toon Realms" minis to come for the AHPC.

      Delete
  9. Those treefolk are ace and the wizard on the dice is brill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great renditions of everybody's favourite shrubbery ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful wizard and a good-sized grove!

    ReplyDelete