Tuesday 15 February 2022

From ChrisW - Altair IV via Sarah's yacht, 2 more Super, Robots & Eldar Titans! (297 points)

 


I was a little out of sorts this week, unable to focus, unable to act. Not a painting wall, thankfully, just too much of the real world impacting on my life. The hobby, that I rely upon to keep me in my happy place, failed me this week, and my output has suffered. The up side, while painting eluded me for most of the week, I was able to direct some energy towards cleaning up my painting area and I was able to plan out next weeks projects. Hopefully those will advance beyond the planning stage.

Thankfully I was able to work on some of the items that I was unable to complete for last weeks posting. So before we leave Krypton I will submit a few more supers, then we are on to Altair and some robots!

Krypton (part 2)

Dr Argos and his tripod [25]

A bit pulpy but I think I will use him against superheroes, I present Dr Argos and his tripod! Almost finished off a few weeks back it was placed on the back burner when other more pressing projects came to the fore. I already painted up most of his robot minions, but just never got around the the big guy himself. A straight forward figure, not much extra detail, no real reason for him not to have been done much sooner, but there you have it, you can never say what will happen.

You can tell by the bronze paint on the lower legs that I started this figure around the same time I was painting some AQMF tripods. The paint scheme was inspired by the photos at Crooked Dice and the use of two tones does break up the monotony of the metal finish. 






Giant Tess is my ticket for Lady Sarah's yacht! 






Now from Krypton we move onto Altair IV.>>>>>



Altair IV [Old Robots]

Robbie the robot

Robbie himself! A while back I bought a model of the rocket ship from Forbidden Planet. The kit contained a number of crewmen and this clear plastic robot figure. Not much of a figure and sadly lacking any detail inside his head, so there was not much to do but give it a simple paint job. The model was base coated black, leaving the face plate clear, which was then washed with a Vallejo grey wash. The body was painted with army painter metallic paint Night Scales. 

 


 Odd bots

These are multi part, assemble yourself robots made by  Old Glory. They come in a pack of 13 single cast torso/legs, with an assortment  of many more heads and arms than there are bodies. So lots of choices, which is a curse to me as I spend far too much time trying to figure out what to build. Analysis paralysis is a curse of mine, be it in the assembly of figures or making a decision about what colours to paint. Maybe I should just stick with historical figures!





Dr Who - Robot

The robot and 5 UNIT troops. I have many more UNIT figures, but I am uncertain which colours to use. These are the first five off the line, more than a test, but not certain yet if they are the right colours. So, even with historical figures, well 1970's TV military, I still have challenges with paint colours.Anyways, I needed something to pose with the robot to make it more dramatic! In the show, the robot is pretty basic, all shiny metal with a dash of colour on the helmet and the shoulders.








Eldar Titans

Old robots? Well for me you can't get much older than these titans from the 1990's. So this blast from the past consists of 8 Eldar Titans! These have sat largely untouched for 20 to 30 years in a big box with a bunch of other stuff. Well before this challenge started I had pulled out all of my titans, Imperial, Eldar and Orc and placed them on one of my shelves, and there they sat for another year. 

Incidentally, from here on in I will stop talking about how long I have had a given model. I will only mention time frame if the model has been acquired recently, otherwise assume that anything I paint has been sitting on my self for many years yadda, yadda, yadda... I think about 80% of my stuff has been around for a long time without being painted. Nuff said!

So thanks to Curt, the Analogue Challenge and a planet of old robots! I have 8 of them, plus 2 smaller ones,  which have finally managed to migrate over to the painting table! Most of them were not even fully assembled and there are 2 more still in their original packages.

The big question is, how many will I get done this week?

Well the answer was... 8

I have used a variety of colour schemes to paint these as I just prefer variety on the tabletop. I also experimented with colour shift paint on one of the Warlock Titans, still not certain about it.

 




 Adeptus Titanicus styrofoam buildings

Kind out of left field, but in keeping with the epic titans, I decided I needed some scenery for the titans to interact with. These are the styrofoam buildings that came with the original Adeptus Titanicus game back in the 80's. A couple of years ago I was able to pick up a near mint copy of the game at a local bring and buy, doubling my collection of buildings and titans. They promptly joined the originals languishing in a storage drawer, until now. The original plan was to spray them grey and then dry brush them to reveal the details. Dry brushing did not work so well and in the end I painted most of them in a variety of colours.

They actually were fun to paint despite the large number of windows and it was fun to select the colours. 



Now maybe some pics of the titans rampaging through the city!






Dystopian wars FSA John Henry robots.

More stuff that I did not finish in time for other posts. These are the flying robots that are the progenitors of the robots used by the Dominion of Canada, but with fully functional flying jets. These are the all the John Henry robots that I own, in fact two of them were re-primed just for this challenge. They had been 'painted' really badly before, actually one was pretty much just silver primed and the less said about the other one the better. So those two were added into the pile, meaning that once done all models would be in the same paint style if not the same livery. 

Like many of my projects the main barrier to starting/finishing a project is determining what colours to use. It took a while, and a lot of internet searching to try and find something I liked. I finally got some inspiration from Gundam models and my own idea of keeping the colours muted and in line with a post Confederacy victory America, so browns and greys, not Yankee blue!

 

 

Points tally

  • 65 points for 13 x 28mm foot 
  • 20 points for 28mm vehicle/Tripod
  • 05 points for Giant Tess (gets me on the yacht)
  • 20 points for Sarah's yacht 
  • 20 points Altair IV
  • 64 for 8 Epic Eldar Titans
  • 40 points for 16 Epic building scenery
  • 63 points for 9 x 40mm robots @ 7 points each

 Grand Total (new) 297

 

When stacked, they are two 6" x 6" cubes


Squirrel points

I have been very remiss in labeling my squirrel entries. Well that ends today! I doubt my addition to last weeks post was in time to be counted towards the squirrel so I might as well start fresh.

  1. Super heroes
  2. Epic 40K
  3. Sci-Fi Robots 28mm
  4. Dystopian wars
  5. Dr Who

 


Yoiks! So that was a slow week for you? Yes folks, another points-bomb from Chris. I was certain I saw it marked as "Ready" this morning when I made the list for my post, but when I went to do the minioning it was marked as draft. Either I was mistaken, or Chris decided to return and add some more bits...

Chris - I'm assuming that Giant Tess is a 28mm figure from the points you are claiming for her.

Tamsin

Edit:
It's been pointed out to me that there is precedent for the scoring of Epic Titans - Samuli's Ork Gargants were scored as 15mm vehicles at 8 points each. I've adjusted the score accordingly.
 
EDIT

Thanks for the information and update. Error was based on answer to an earlier question, no harm or foul intended!😳

Sorry, yes she is 28mm, actually taller than 28mm but who;s counting...😀


Almost made it without mitakes! Also forgot my alpha challenge...

14 comments:

  1. Slow week 433 points,eek! Love the tripod, great metal finish, especially the bronze and the myriad of robots are great fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there was a bit of an error in calculating this weeks points so only 297 points. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  2. Wow, those are some old titans. I love Robbie the Robot too. "Danger Will Robinson! Danger!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah it was really time to start,let alone finish, painting those old titans!

      Delete
  3. There is so much to like in your post, but I really like the pictures of the Titans rampaging through the city!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy moly that is a lot of robots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to kind of have a thing for robots in all scales. I must be closing in on 100 in 28mm alone.

      Delete
  5. What is the collective noun for retro pulp robots? Just bonkers! Best of all is that tripod thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I love seeing those old school Eldar Titans. Those take me back a few years. Also, really enjoyed the Pulp tripod - so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many things, too many. But yes, I love the tripod, I need-want one. Secondly, the city is terrific. It is wonder what can be achieved from such a simple stuff. I also like that it is not just ruins and grimdark, fresh change to anything in WH40K setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sci-fi collection- your titans are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a whopper! I must say I really love the Warlock Titans and the terrain a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super eclectic entry Chris, I hope the real world doesn't intrude as much this week, though it doesn't seem to have impacted your productivity that much. Lady Tess looks like her outfit is literally painted on!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete