Tuesday 15 February 2022

From SarahHC: Sunrise Tower & Dusk Hall (10 Points)



Hello Everyone!

Since I did not/would not paint the turnip patch that had “appeared” in my paint nook, I took the liberty of raiding the treasure cave that is the Snowlords’ Game Studio and found some wonderfully whimsical buildings which I felt were more suited to my sensibilities.

I love the slightly wonky, faerie-tale look of these. Curt tells me they are 10mm scaled 3D prints from a Kickstarter called 'Hagglethorn Hollow'.

My imagination ran wild and I decided that I would paint in a very impressionistic style… as if Monet was dropped on his head and began decided to paint miniatures instead of on canvas.

The Sunrise Tower


I used a variety of craft paints in whites, ochres, orange & deep reds, Citadel Contrast Iyendan Yellow and Vallejo Bright Brass for highlights. The minis were both initially primed with black followed by a light grey drybrush.


I wanted the tower to look like it’s on a hill top and is catching the sunrise and reflecting all the colours of the morning light.



Dusk Hall 


Again, I used a variety of craft paints, contrast paints and metallic silver to look like the Hall is in a deep hollow and absorbing the gloaming of twilight; blacks, purples and silver metallic as if the moonlight was reflecting off the building.


I’m pretty pleased with the results and I have a suspicion that Curt will be printing off a few more buildings for me to paint in this style.


Looks like I’m stuck on Istvaan, planet of loyalty/betrayal… my creative thinking couldn’t come up with a plausible enough tale to turn this post into fulfilling the criteria needed.


Next week will provide another opportunity so stay tuned!

Points wise? These are buildings 10mm scale and so don't take up much of a 6"x6" cube, so let's say 5pts?

- Sarah



Those buildings look fantastic, Sarah, and must have been much more fun to paint than a boring old turnip patch!
Now, the thing with terrain is that it is very helpful to have some sort of guide to how big they are to help with scoring them - a ruler, a figure...
As I have some idea of how large those buildings must be and how detailed your painting is, I'm going to score them as being equivalent to 28mm foot figures.

Tamsin

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you!
      This was my first foray into painting terrain and definitely an experimental paint scheme, so I’m thrilled that my idea worked!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, these are beauties. Well done Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg,
      I had a lot of fun with these and thrilled my crazy paint scheme idea worked!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas
      I like the spooky dark-faerie tale vibe too, the Dusk Hall looks very witchy - adventurers lost in the forest best stay away …..

      Delete
  4. Wow, is that the right word... yes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamsin -
    Thanks for the 10pts! I’ll virtually send you a cupcake 🧁❤️
    Next time I have terrain, I’ll make sure to have a ruler as a guide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice buildings, Sarah! I like your artistic approach on painting these, something like this is mostly alien to all those follow strict colour codes of Napoleonics or WW2 German camouflage for example. You have catched the moment on both of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu
      I seem to have found a new creative outlet🤷‍♀️

      Delete
  7. oh gosh those are gorgeous,they look like they are right of The Labyrint or the Dark Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those really are lovely, the painting style is great

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid looking pieces of terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work on these buildings Sarah. Much better than a turnip patch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks wonderful and really like the color palette Sarah!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, I have the Haggletorn buildings too but have yet to print them. I just hope they will turn out half as nice as these of yours, they look absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete