Monday 24 January 2022

From StuartL - World Eater - Istvaan V - 45 Points

Hello again.

This should be the first of several posts today as I finish working my way around the outer reaches of the Challenge Sector. The theme for Istvaan V is Betrayal, Heretics and Loyalists. The Horus Heresy (or Warhammer 30,000) is one of my favourite settings for a wargame so I have several armies in various stages of being built and painted. Sadly the official models tend to be on the 'selling a kidney' end of the price scale, so I am always looking for ways to get away with cheaper options. As the models are still usually from Games Workshop, cheaper is a very subjective term.


This model began as a Warhammer 40,000 venerable dreadnought. I added some 3D printed arms (though they are a fraction too small) that a friend printed for me to equip it with Volkite Culverins, essentially death rays. I scraped off the Imperial iconography on the torso and added a 30K style helm for the pilot. Finally, some large spikey bits and some skull adorned chains finished off the model with a more brutal look.


The model is painted in the colours of the World Eaters Legion, one of the traitor factions that joined the Warmaster Horus in turning against the Emperor and was present at both Istvaan III and Istvaan V, two of the most notable events at the opening of the Heresy. The white armour is actually very light grey, as it is much easier to get a solid covering with that.


This model should score me 20 points for a 28mm vehicle and a further 20 for the planet. It also sports 12 skullz (not including the decal on the leg armour).

Skullz Total: 29


You have my sympathy for paying GW price for anything, but I am always happy to see folks do an end run around them.  I really have no idea what this thing is, but it looks bloody marvellous.    I always like to see some kit bashing, so am tossing in a few points for the work that you've done.  What 30k doesn't look better with spiky bits and Skulls (Barks is the Skullometer picking these up?).

For a more appreciate review see GregB's inevitable 30k fanboy gushing below.

10 comments:

  1. This looks great, the arms look a eecent size to me (although I am not a fan of new style GW scale creep)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuart, this is marvellous! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stuart:
    Quite the gunslinger, he’s impressive.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking dread, Stuart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent stuff Stuart. Love those paired Volkite Culverins (and the name too - whacky).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one Stuart! You have a good recipe for white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gread looking renegade dread!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool Stuart! Love the paint chipping

    > GregB's inevitable 30k fanboy gushing below
    That made me laugh out loud Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Skull-o-meter is taking a bit of time to warm up his year, but it will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete