Monday 24 January 2022

John B: Floppy berets and picklehaubes

Meanwhile, on the Hartsmannwillerkopf, some jaunty head gear… berets! (somewhat floppier than the one Curt wears when he zips around on his bicyclette…)

More home sculpted, drop cast homemade toy soldiers in 40mm scale. Remaining in the Belle Èpoche rut, (oh, what a lovely rut it is…) I have for offer, a unit of Chasseurs Alpins (18 figures), circa 1890-1914, a unit of German infantry in feldgrau und picklehauben (18 figures), and a unit of French infantry, 1890-1914 (18 figures), sans kepi cover.

 



 
I had a little trouble with the varnish on the Chasseurs. It came out mottled and cloudy. This figure has been a bit of an ugly duckling from the get go. I made the rifle too thick and the castings have come out with a fair bit of flash. I have replenished my varnish supply, and if nothing else, I hope these guys will do good service on campaign in the Vosges… win some, lose some I guess.


 


I realize that block painting and glossy varnish does not completely align with the ethos of the challenge, but I assure you that three or four hundred of these fellows on the table top is quite the spectacle. So much so, that it might inspire one to grow a droopy mustache à la Papa Joffre.


 


As for points, given my painting, I feel a little guilty taking 15 points for my modest efforts. I suppose sculpting, molding, and casting, could count for something, but it is a painting challenge after all.  I will stick with the program and humbly petition for the assigned 15 points per figure.

 54x40mm foot @ 15 points/figure = 810 378 points

Minion: if these are 54s then the 15 points applies, but think that they are 40mm in which case Tamsin is correct and the total is 378.

Total=810 points

 Next I hope to head to Galicia and to visit the polyglot and much underrated forces of Kaiser Franz-Joseph. I am assured there will be more champagne, gambling, and Italian actresses present than in any other headquarters.

 

Wow John, these are lovely.  Most of us get to blame the manufacturer on figure flaws, but as designed, caster and painter there's little room to hide for you.

You need to get rid of your guilty feelings and enjoy what you've done.   I am brooking none of your BS on these proper old school Toy Soldiers, especially not ones which are home cast in the Scale that All Other Scales Aspire to Be.  You haven't war-gamed if you've never flung matchsticks from spring loaded toy cannons at your opponents figures.



 


29 comments:

  1. You earned every one of those 810 points, John. Fabulous work. I look forward to the day when we can get together for a game with these fine fellows (and even moreso to the day that is warm enough for me to wear a floppy beret on a bicycle). More please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, John! :)

    But aren't 40mm foot scored at 7 points each?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have adjusted his points accordingly on the official tally sheet.

      Delete
    2. So sorry about this, Tasmin. Blame my faulty memory.

      Delete
  3. These are awesome. An impressive job at some old school shinies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a true artisan. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks. That is very kind. One of those activities where you lose track of time... like fly fishing. Flow, I think it's called.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful stuff, especially love those moustaches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work
    And I can guarantee that there will be all the champagne and Italian actresses awaiting your arrival in Galicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. > I suppose sculpting, molding, and casting, could count for something
    Hell yes! That's simply amazing. The old school grognard in me adores these mate. Brig. Peter Young would approve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in awe of the sheer amount of work that must go into your collection. Your home made toy soldiers look good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Ethos of the Challenge"?
    You are CREATING your own SUPER COOL figures! Paint em up however you like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers Greg. I think I'll get my wife to use that for my new handle..."Super Cool, supper's ready..." probably won't work. Oh, well... (thanks)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello John:
    In many ways I would say that this is the most impressive entry of the Challenge to date. The authenticity and unabashed old school charm of these figures makes them stand out and their number speaks to your industry.
    Bien fait, mon brave.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are different styles to paint, John, and yhis style is perfect for these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice sculpting and painting in classic Little Wars style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Splendid French and Germans, they look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are really brilliant. Great work!

    ReplyDelete