Monday 24 January 2022

From StuartL - There are no Wolves on Glorantha - 120 Points

Hello all, 

Having made a brief stop at Istvaan V, I'm continuing on to Glorantha where the theme is Quests, Runes and Heroes. My entry for this planet should get at least two of those boxes checked as the models certainly have Runes on them and should hopefully count as heroes. Maybe they go questing too, I'm not 100% on that though. In my previous post, I said that I have several armies on the go for the Horus Heresy setting produced by Games Workshop, and this entry represents my starting point on a new one. The VIth Legion Astartes, the Vlka Fenryka, more commonly known as the Space Wolves.


First off, I have a dreadnought. This is pretty much the stock model from the Warhammer 40K Space Wolves range. It has a lot of detail on it to show it's origins including a wolf pelt, numerous runes, totems and talismans and a viking style shield on it's shoulder.



Unlike the other legions, the Space Wolves don't really bother with tactical squads and support squads, instead mixing all of their warriors together in units called Grey Slayer Packs. These are more like mini warbands than actual military units and can carry a wide variety of gear. This unit has been built from Heresy era power armour mixed with bits and pieces from the 40K space wolves kit to add character. Unlike the pale blue/grey armour seen in the usual 40K setting, Heresy era wolves sport a darker look to their armour. 





These 16 Grey Slayers are all equipped to get stuck into melee and dish out some damage as soon as possible. They also form the first core unit of my new army. I'll need a couple more big blocks of infantry to go alongside them before I can really start playing with this force.


So, for 16x 28mm models plus a vehicle, I should score a nice round 100 points. The planet adds a further 20 to that total. 
Between the dreadnought and the infantry, they have 27 skullz between them for that side duel.

Skullz Total: 56


More 30K lovelies for GregB!  Great work on these guys Stuart, they look grimly efficient.  If I may offer a suggestion, you might consider redoing the bases in a different earth tone and in the photos the bases meld into the figures which is a shame.

12 comments:

  1. Quite terrifying and imposing.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  2. 30K for the win! Love that dreadnought. Great work Stuart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Stuart, always nice to see more members of The Rout coming off of the painting table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Stuart, but I'm worried about the bases and models getting together, too. It might be a lightning issue or related to the magicks of photography, but different bases might make them popup better. Just an opinion, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice Teemu. Even just painting the rims black would push the focus back onto the minis more. Still lovely work though!

      Delete
    2. All my 30K models are based the same way I'm afraid. I picked the dark grey colour back when I was painting bright blue (Ultramarines) and deep red (Word Bearers) armour.

      Delete
  5. Well done on the copper armour edging Stuart! I've been doing the same on my Death Guard and it takes time, patience and a steady hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mk.III armour demands picking out the edging in some fashion, but it does look nice when it is done.

      Delete
  6. Great looking space wolves and dreadnought, they look splendid!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s a lot of dreadnoughts this week!

    ReplyDelete