Monday 24 January 2022

From ManusH: Isle of Lewis Pawns


 Hey everyone, 
This week I've finished the pawns for the red side of my Isle of Lewis chess set. I'm not entirely sure if these count as "figures" as such! I suspect the design of these pieces reflects the overall message of the set: that chess is a game of clergy, warriors and royalty. Peasant foot soldiers were certainly not the designers' focus. 

I love the knot-like designs on these pawns!



In case anyone is wondering, these pieces are resin 3d prints. STL files for the Isle of Lewis chessmen are available for free on Thingiverse!

These pieces are much smaller than the others in the set. They are closer to 40mm rather than 54mm. So in terms of points :
8x40mm foot figure @ 7pts each=56pts 

I am enjoying these Isle of Lewis Chessmen Manus, I may be hitting up my local 3D printers for a set.  I can also see uses for these guys as carved monuments with cryptic runes for Dark Age Britain or Fantasy RPGs.

12 comments:

  1. This is one of the more unusual, and interesting, projects of this edition of the Challenge - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Greg has really hit the nail on the head with his remark, this is a project I am really looking forward seeing completed on the board, it will look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m really loving this pawn project!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on this unusual project, Manus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m looking forward to it all coming together. Your red is such a rich tone. It is very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice red. Have you considered using some other colours to pick up the details?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great project
    I wish I played chess … it would be pleasure to play with such lovely pieces

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great red,lovely pieces!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice looking pawns.You've done a good job of making the patterns stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lovely deep red. You're making me want to paint my set!

    ReplyDelete