Monday 24 January 2022

From StuartL - Continuing round the ring - Cybertron, Arrakis and LV426 - 85 Points

This is my final entry for today and is just a quick blitz of several planets. Having finished up the outer orbit, I am now heading inwards, down through the Great Abyssal. This brings me out at Cybertron in the middle ring, the theme for which is robots. Having already painted up a load of robots earlier in the challenge, I decided to do paint some models that are technically not true robots but that hopefully still count, two mechs from Battletech. These figures are from the Battletech beginner box and are cast as one piece plastic figures. 


These models are a Griffin and a Wolverine mech and are painted in the colours of the 10th Lyran Guards. I did a few models in the same colour scheme in last year's challenge, so these will be added to that force. The models are roughly the same height as a GW space marine. I think Battletech mechs are usually scored as a 28mm infantry figure rather than an 8mm scale vehicle. I'll let the minions adjust the points if need be.

Continuing in my clockwise orbit I head over the Arrakis where one of the themes is Worms. In my big pile of Reaper Bones minis, I found two suitable minis quite easily. They are very well textured, so I was able to do them in a simple base, wash, drybrush style and get the bulk of them done quickly.


Each model is roughly 28mm in scale and I will probably use them as wasteland critters in This Is Not A Test. One of them is sporting a skull on its base, so that is one more for my tally.

And finally, we head over the LV426, where the theme is Aliens. Personally, I find H R Gigers' Xenomorph creations truly horrifying, so I'll have to settle for the next best thing, a Genestealer from Games Workshop. An alien lifeform that exists in the void of space, lays it's eggs in unwilling hosts and acts as a living weapon that can destroy civilizations, I don't think GW were particularly subtle about their inspiration for this monster.


The figure is one of the original plastic models from the Space Hulk board game released decades ago. The model was painted up with several washes and a bit of contrast paint. There aren't two rows of eyes on it's head, the upper one is actually a spot of sepia wash that I was using to break up the overall pale look of the mini.

By my count, there are 5x 28mm models for a total of 25 points, plus 3 locations for an extra 60, giving me an extra 85 points for my score and bringing my challenge entries today to a close.

Skullz Total: 57


Final post and you've hit three planets, you have been busy.  I like the two tone mechs in the first photo.  I'll be sending one of those worms round to Barks to make sure that he's got the Skullometer working properly, it should fit in with the rest of the fauna in Oz.

11 comments:

  1. Nice choice of colours on the mechas Stuart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mechs. They look almost medieval with the contrasting colours. The monsters look cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don’t like those worms!! (They are really well done!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worms, monsters, robots, oh my! You’re a busy traveller.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blue and white robots (mechs) look great and the worms have a strong Lovecraftian vibe. Nice tour amongst the planets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Genestealer, I have a bunch of these somewhere myself - I never settled on a colour scheme that I truly liked. This one is nice though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good collection of planets Stuart, I'm following the same path with my Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good mix of figures and planets!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m going to keep my eyes open for those worms. And a ‘stealer with multiple eyes is very creepy!

    ReplyDelete