Saturday 7 January 2023

From MartijnN: Away at last! 28mm Württemberg Napoleonics (Under Construction) (95 points)

Yes, I really wanted to get a post up early this year. But of course I didn't. As I have said before, I'm a very slow painter and even then the results are hardly stunning; but then again, I am a functional painter too, painting to get some colour on my toys.

Anyway, here's my first contribution for Challenge XIII: some Napoleonic Württembergers. I painted 12 of these in Challenge XII, with an idea of taking up Sharp practice. After the Challenge, I painted up six grenadiers as well. Then I finally took the step of actually looking at Sharp Practice, and I discovered that units are mostly made up of eight figures... which meant that I had to paint up four more fusiliers and two extra grenadiers. 

The fusiliers, and officer (a Kickstarter exclusive figure) that I had sneakily thrown in to get to 25 points and thus a squirrel, were more or less finished early last week. And then I snapped a bayonet, which proved to be irreparable. Since that meant that I had to start a new fusilier from scratch, I decided to broaden the scope a bit and include an artillery unit, the two missing grenadiers, and an officer on horseback in the package. So here we are:


6pdr Horse Artillery



The fusiliers

The grenadiers with their distinctive helmets




The full force thus far...

They were done mostly using contrast over a black undercoat and a heavy drybrush/ zenithal. On the mounted officer, however, I found that Iyanden Yellow didn't give enough coverage over my apparently too dark undercoat, so I re-did the yellow with Yriel Yellow. To keep them in style with my earlier bunch I also gave them all a coat of Agrax  Earthshade. These are Piano Wargames miniatures; they are available in metal, but mine are 3D printed. They really are great characterful figures, and they paint up rather nicely. The bases were done with Geek Gaming's Base Ready.

As for scores:

11 28mm foot @ 5 = 55 points

1 28mm mounted @ 10 = 10 points

1 crew served weapon @ 10 points = 10 points

Bonus points for the Under Construction Studio: 20

Grand total 95

1 squirrel point too!


Those look fantastic, Martijn. I've always thought of Napoleonics as being tough to paint, I'd never have thought to use Contrast on them. They have come out very nicely, though it is a shame that you broke one of your figures. The caption on the picture says 'thus far...', so hopefully we see more of these in the future.


16 comments:

  1. Wow, seriously wonderful work Martijn. Great to see such fine Nappys on the challenge. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Martijn, I do love Napoleonic’s !

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Martijn! Welcome back for another season! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may be slower than some, but your results are worth the wait. Nice cloth folds/highlights and good combination of priming/contrast paints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I really like these figures (not heard of Piano Wargames), and your brushwork does them great justice, Martijn. I particularly like the two officer figures. This makes me want to do up a base or two of Napoleonics now (damn your eyes, sir!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Martijn - all of our brushes move in different ways and at different paces, but the key is to get them moving - which you have done with admirable results. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done - Piano seem to produce lovely figures and you've more than done them justice - the contrast paint idea is an interesting one too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice painted toys, Martijn! Sorry to hear about the broken bayonet, but on the bright side it pushed you paint even more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking Wurttembergers! I could do with some of these...! Lovely finish too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Martijn those Württembergers just are da bomb, they are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff and enjoyed seeing historical Napoleonic figures painted up so well!
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the German minor states, so much variety and at time silliness of uniform and hats. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good stuff, Martijn. I have always liked the look of the Raupenhelm worn by Württembergers and Bavarians during the Napoleonic Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice indeed. As others have said now I want to add Napoleonic’s to the paint line.

    ReplyDelete